Need advice re. importing 2nd hand rims..

Nick_MSM

I ordered some Racing Hart wheels about a month ago and was told they'd take 6 weeks to arrive. However this has now turned into a nightmare for me, and they aren't due for an age now :angry: Have been told the same about some Volk rims so I'm desperate to sort some wheels for start of next month (shows coming up & my front tyres are worn!)

I've found some RH rims in the States which are 2nd hand - How much is shipping usually and what happens regarding import tax/duty, does it apply to 2nd hand goods etc? The wheels/tyres are mint and he's asking £1300, would this be a good buy?

Many thanks!

Guest prescience

Not sure about the price but since it included tyres, sounds ok.

Regrettably VAT and import duty do apply

Don't think you have to pay VAT or duty on secondhand stuff. Make sure they are dirty before they are shipped.

I've just imported new wheels and tyres and they cost me $600 by air freight. It took 4 days to hit the UK. You can get cheaper though. Try UPS, I heard these are quick and not too expensive. Also try Bax Global.

Cheapest way is by sea but this can take 2-3 weeks. Expect to pay about $250.

You could try Status Auto Design in the US. They do stock some nice 350z wheels. They advertise on my350z.com under the user name status. They usuall put up a post of their stock. These are the guys I bought from. I can give you the contact details if you need them.

PS: You do know that RH are american wheels and not Racing Harts? Nice wheels mind you.

Hope this helps

Hi Kev,

Thanks very much for the advice, $600 isn't too bad and if I don't have to pay duty/vat then £1600 delivered seems great for Racing Harts! And by RH I mean't Racing Hart - I'm just lazy with typing :blush:;)

Guest prescience
Don't think you have to pay VAT or duty on secondhand stuff. Make sure they are dirty before they are shipped.

Im gonna contact Customs and Exicse for a definitive answer on this one - the response won't be quick; but I'll post up if and when :)

Im gonna contact Customs and Exicse for a definitive answer on this one - the response won't be quick; but I'll post up if and when :)

I'm not sure so yes please. Even in the UK VAT sometimes seems to apply, e.g. cars / trucks etc.

I paid vat and customs duty on 2nd hand stuff :dry:

RH and Racing Hart: careful as the US folks get confused and think RH are Racing Hart, show us some pics of the model we'll tell you if they are Racing Hart or RH mate.

PS "told you so" about the waiting time sounds appropriate ;):(

I heard the same on waiting time. Some dealers get your money by lying then break the news on delivery after 2 months. Also depends on the wheel you are buying. Some are on a long lead time.

I researched my dealer carefully as he claimed 6-8 weeks delivery on mine into the US and sure enough they were delivered to him in 7 weeks.

I also learned something on duty and VAt. I always thought it applied to new only.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest prescience

From the horses mouth

Thank you for your email of 8 May regarding the above subject.

Goods imported into the UK from a country outside the EU are liable to customs duty and VAT charges. These charges must be paid whether:

* you purchase the goods or receive them as a gift;

* the goods are new or used;

* the goods are for your private use or for sale.

The rate of customs duty payable depends upon the tariff classification and commodity code applicable to the particular goods. Such information is available at either of the following online sources:- http://europa.eu.int/comm/taxation_cust ... arhome.htm.

Used tyres are classified under tariff heading 4012; wheels are classified under tariff heading 8708. The rate of customs duty for both items is 4.5%.

Tyres and wheels are subject to VAT at the standard rate of 17.5%.

Customs duty is charged on the customs value of the goods. This value consists of the cost of the goods plus the cost of shipment to the UK plus any insurance costs connected with shipment. VAT is charged on the customs value plus the duty.

If the goods are mailed to you, the duty and VAT charges are raised by Customs at the postal depot of importation from the information given on the customs declaration attached to the package by the sender and, if necessary, by examination of the goods. These charges, together with the Royal Mail/Parcelforce fee for clearing the goods through Customs (£8 or £13.50 depending on the value of the goods), are notified to you on a charge label affixed to the package and are payable when the package is delivered to you.

If the goods are sent via one of the courier companies (Fedex, UPS, etc) or a shipping agent, the particular company will contact you regarding the importation and delivery of the goods and will complete the importation formalities with Customs, including payment of the duty and VAT, on your behalf. You will be invoiced by the company for the duty and VAT charges and their own handling/clearance fee.

I trust that the above is helpful to you but if you have any further queries please contact the National Advice Service helpline on tel 0845 010 9000 (Mon-Fri 0800-2000).

Regards

Bernard Stather

Written Enquiries (International Trade)

H M Revenue and Customs

Eldon Court

75 London Road

Reading RG1 5BS