Chipstick? anyone used this?

TheOracle

Hi All

I've only had my black 350Z less than 2 weeks but despite the crappy weather, washed it using the two bucket technique using a lambs wool mitt (purchased after reading here on the forum). Now that I've had chance to inspect my baby up close I have noted a few stone chips on the front drivers side wing that have been badly touched up plus a couple of chips on the bonnet. All of the front is protected by a paint shield or equivalent but for some reason, the previous owner didn't get the bonnet or front wings done, hence the chips.

Anyway, whilst browsing in Halfrauds at all the products I've read about for car detailing (boy have I got a lot to learn) I noticed that Turtle Wax do a lipstick like product which if I remember correctly is called a CHIPSTICK, it goes together with the colour wax that they do. Instructions state you gradually apply the 'lipstick' until the wax is flush then lightly buff off. Presume the idea is it fills the hole of the stone chip and hopefully improves the overall look??

My questions are:

1 Has anyone used this product and is it any good? (for the short term until I can sort it properly)

2 What other options should I consider?

3 I presume that once the chips are sorted I could add further paint shield products to the bonnet and wings so that all of the front is protected.

4 Oh yes, is the coloured wax any good (have a few hairline scratches, some I've already T-cut out)

Finally, as you can see I'm new to the forum; I have tried to find relative articles by using the search function but couldn't find anything specific. Apologies if this has been covered before.

TheOracle :thumbs:

Yup, from what I've heard its just coloured wax, so will evenutally wash out.

2 options I have seen that work well are:

1) Get a touch up kit from www.paints4u.co.uk . Get the kit with all the bits, swabs, paint, cleaner, laquer etc - Scratch Master Kit

2) Get a kit from http://drcolorchip.com/ . It comes from the States but is meant to be very good. You basically smear the paint on and they wipe off the excess using their special cleaner. Theres a write up on detailing world if you do a google.

:)

Oh and also, I would only ever paintshield over the bits if a professional had sorted out the chips. You want the paint to be perfect under it as once you have it on, you cant sort them out again without removing and re-applying it. :surrender:

Used chipstick on my last car. Found it quite good in that chips and big scratches are less obvious, and it protects the metal from rusting. It's only a tempory measure tho, and stays on the car max 2 weeks. Also thought the coloured wax was good as it dyes the base paint, again only temporarily.

There are better products out there tho, like dark dodo juice wax imo.