"Mazda On Track" slalom/drift session - Oct 17th

andyvvc

Justy popped a post on the **REMOVED** site about this too - www.mazdaontrack.co.uk

Im booked (with the 350z) on the slalom/drift course this Friday, Oct 17th. Sounds like fun! A mate runs an MX5 and mentioned the session to me.

I should be able to try out oversteer safely - and hopefully learn what to do when the ar$e end steps out in the wet ! The gf is after an MX5, so i guess she should have fun to lol

Anyone else fancy popping along? A few places left i think..

Make sure you have a new set of tyres for you return trip home as i can guess that your rears will not be legal when you finish.

I personally would never use my own car for one of these drift days as there is way too much stress on an OE setup car as it is not designed to go sideways as much as you will be.

Id pay the extra £100 or so and use their cars.

I'm not planning to use the drift track (which is soaked with water) in any anger. I will be focusing on the slalom track which looks like a good test of car control.

I'll be trying some oversteer on the drift track purely to try and learn what to do when the back end snaps out. It isnt something im happy *ever* attempting on a public road. I dont think there will be any undue stress placed on the diff or tyres given the slippy surface. Hopefully whatever i learn i'll never have to use in the real world....but if i ever do get cuaght out maybe i will react correctly and save my car/myelf from a nasty bump ? At the moment i still think in a FWD manner - off the power, turn in. I doubt this is correct for a RWD car when the back end steps out. TBH you'd think i'd know what i was doing after nearly 4 years of RWD Nissan ownership lol

What's this other forum you speak of? Nissansomethingz?? Never heard of 'em :)

What a great day it turned out to be! In all there were 24 cars active on the airstrip. My 350z, an RX8, and 22 MX5's of varying guises (SC'd, Turbo'd, track-prepared, bog standard etc)

The airfield was split into two - top part being an advance track. Bottom half for beginners. There was also a seperate mulch-wood drift track. Cars were allowed to go to any section of the track to participate - just join the queue then have your go.

Minimal tyre wear. Minimal brake wear. I dont think i got above 70mph - the courses were more about maintaining speed thru the curves and controling any slide on the sweeping turns. It was the first time i have driven the 350 in anger and it was a real eye opener! The traction control is excellent. Even on the mulch-wood surface which offered little grip, the TC was up to the job. As soon as i turned it off.......sliiiiiiiiiide and donut :teeth: Shows just how vital TC can be on poorer surfaces.

All-in-all a very good day. Only used a quarter tank of fuel. No tyre damage, no knackered brakes, nowt. I also had a few goes at controlling a power slide on the main circuit - harder than it looks I have to say. However, i did manage to hold a wee slide, and also learned how to recover from such an incident correctly. All good stuff.

The lads that run these MOT sessions are very laid back and very helpful. Best 80 quid i have spent on the track ever i think :thumbs:

Piccies if anyone wants a look. The 350 looks nice! They also caught multiple pics of my power slide and recovery which also look cool :lol:

http://www.phoenixfives.org.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2330&sid=86e339dabeba2787070183cc1ab4e670