New Pioneer AVIC-F900BT Head Unit Install

Eneah

Just a quick question

Got a Pioneer AVIC-F900BT for my Z. I need to hook up the GPS aerial. Where's the best place to put this where it's out of sight but still get's good reception? Anyone know where the standard satnav aerial sits?

The best place to put it is around the front or rear windows. I have my CarPC GPS puck hidden under the plastic of the rear strut brace. AFAIK this is where the standard one lives too, but as the main unit for their OEM sat nav is in the back, its not far for it to reach. If your unit is all mounted up front, then this wont be possible I guess. In that case, somewhere behind where the screen lives in the dash area will give you the best chance of reception with keeping the GPS hidden.

:welcome: btw :)

Cool, centre sounds like the way go to :)

Following the guide at http://www.350z-tech.com/zwiki/Head_Unit_Installation to install the head unit.

Just managed to get the centre console apart and remove the standard unit. One thing the guide fails to mention is how much of a **** some of the fasteners and connectors are to get apart. In particular the fastener at the top of the console (you only have a very small edge to get your fingers on too) and the connectors on the back of the radio. I was surpised to find out satan himself had stuck the aerial in :surrender:

Anyway I took the screws out to seperate the unit from the centre console before I tackeled the connectors. Started with the one on the left as you look down onto it and using one screw driver on the catch and one to leaver it out I just about managed it. The other two are similar. With those out the way I could get some leverage on the aerial and get that out :yahoo:

Took the old brackets off the standard unit. Removed all the gubbins from the new one. Luckily the old backets fit on the new one, all be it with only 3/4 of the screws

09102008957zj4.jpg

Screwing the unit into the console has however revealed a problem. One I remember reading others users and that is that there is a gap at the bottom of the unit :(

09102008958mq7.jpg

It's only at the bottom so not sure what to do about it. Any suggestions?

Hmmmm Interesting, looks worse than most re the fitting, I think you will have to try and reposition it so its closer to the centre, maybe make the holes oval rather than round?

My kenwood fits nice and snug, so your HU looks like it could be smaller...

Yes it's slightly smaller. Sure I read somewhere else someone had the same problem. Could make it line up with the centre but still not going to solve the problem as there is already a bit of a gap at the top.

Oddly the facia that comes with it is bigger than the standard 350z one and doesn't fit in the standard hole. Will have a look around to see if I can find any different facias.

Anyway, on with the install tomorrow :sweat:

i have one of these in my 350, i got a proper fitting kit for it and now i dont have the gaps around it, looks really flush and tidy. while you got the centre dials panel out just put the gps antenna under those on the small ledge thing under the dash, u can also run the mic wire up through there at then up the A pillar for the mic to sit at the top. no wires get seen atall.

Thanks for the input :)

Which fitting kit is needed?

The GPS aerial doesnt need to visible at all then? You can just put in inside the dash?

I've connected up the various wires and done all the re-soldering. Everything seems to be working on test, including the steering wheel controls

The GPS aerial doesnt need to visible at all then? You can just put in inside the dash?

It doesnt strictly need to be visable, but I'd do a test run where you want to put it. Anything in the line of sight to the GPS satellites will effect the quality of the fix, but with things having the new SIRF III chips, they are supersensitive. My GPS puck for the car PC is in the rear strut bar under the top plastic (next to the silver bit in the middle). It gets plenty good reception there. I'd try and keep the obstructions to a mimimum but it will work under some plastic :thumbs:

i got it under all my dials, i got 75% signal under the dash without the metal magnet pad, and 92% with the metal base pad. always works perfectly. i got a kit that i cant remember the name.. think it was metra 7402 from the stateside.