Anyone used Chipsaway?

smartmove

Just cleaning my girlfriends car and noticed lots of little chips which could do with getting sorted. I've never tried Chipsaway, whats peoples general opinion? Might have them sort the chips on her car (she can be the guinea pig) with a view to using them to sort anything I find on the Z when I get it.

As said on that thread, they can be a bit hit and miss depending on who runs your local franchise. I can recommend Basingstoke for instance, as they have done work on a couple of my families cars and always did well.

I think for paint chips however, I would do it myself. The reason for this is that with metallics you really need to layer the paint you fill the chip with. The reason for this is that when you put a big dollop of paint in a chip the metallic fleck will sink and leave a funny tint to the paint (ie overly dark from some angles and overly light from others). The only way to really avoid this is to spray which makes the flecks stand up. However this isnt possible on chips. So the idea is to add only a tiny amount to the chip at once and keep doing it a few times once its dry. This means that the flecks wont sink as much and gives a better finish. Using a cocktail stick or needle is the recommended way to do this. Obviously chips away cant do this in teh time they have the car and you can see that on my car as the ones I did look far better! (I got them to do my chips while they were doing a scuff on the rear - which for the record they did a perfect job on, just didnt have the time to do the chips as well as it could be)

Another option is Dr Color Chip ( http://drcolorchip.com/ ), which someone on here was going to trial, but never hear the results. Might be worth searching and seeing if you can see how they got on. Its meant to be good :)

EDIT: Heres a writeup on DW of the ColorChip system - http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/s ... hp?t=77128

I've used them on the last car. Had no complaint but it is down to the person. They are franchises so as always down to some skill level. You also get AA discount with chipsaway

+1 had chips and scratches sorted and wheels refurbed by them, never had a problem myself and i'm fussy :blush:

Wheel comment is interesting. The one blemish on my Z that the dealer wont sort is some kerbing on one of the alloys, nothing major but kerbing all the same. Chips away able to sort that without taking the wheel away and what will the match be to the other 3 wheels?

Wheel comment is interesting. The one blemish on my Z that the dealer wont sort is some kerbing on one of the alloys, nothing major but kerbing all the same. Chips away able to sort that without taking the wheel away and what will the match be to the other 3 wheels?

match has always been spot on, they took the wheel away and returned it the same day :thumbs:

• 2 weeks later...

Had chips away over earlier. Wanted them to deal with light kerbing on 2 front wheels and remove a small dent on passenger door. £180 + VAT. Also called in Car Doctor (local MK smart repairer) and he has quoted £155 inc. VAT so gone with him. Will let you know how it comes out. Decided that if I kerb the alloys after they've been sorted I will give the guide on here a go DIY :)

Car Doctor - Milton Keynes (guys name was Terry) came over today to do the kerbing on the 2 front wheels. VERY happy with the job he did, can barely tell where the kerbing was, perfect colour match with the rest of the wheel. Had someone out over the weekend to remove the small dent on passenger door. He said before he started there was a risk the paint might crack as the dent was small but sharp. Unfortunately the lacquer did crack (about 0.5cm in length) but it's not massively noticeable as the dent has gone. I will try touching it in and see if that helps.