How long should a standard exhaust last?

toffeeblock

Hi all, I am a newbie and looking to get at my first 350Z soon.

One I am considering is a 2004 GT with approx. 65,000 miles which is above average so I was wondering whether I should budget for a new exhaust fairly soon. Does anyone have an idea how long (miles/age) a stock cat and/or exhaust should last?

I may be able to negotiate the seller down if I need to replace these parts soon, so any advice will be appreciated; hopefully I'll be driving my first 350z before too long!

you can often get stock systems off ebay , there are two on there now, go for approx £80 - £100, people often change them for upgrades

difficult to say how long they last, it varies a lot but @ 65k it is probably getting tired

i would be more concerned if it has had a new clutch as that will be going if it hasnt been changed and its a lot more costly than an exhaust

hth

Mine lasted 50k, it will depend on the elements etc 3/4 years I would say for mild steel system.Get a nice stainless one and you will never have to worry again

I wouldnt worry to much about the millage - just double check the service history, wear parts (clutch brakes exhaust and CV joints) and make sure the car has been looked after and you will be well away. and to be honest the millage isnt that far off 12000 a year ish (and i think that is the average) so only a little above. At least you know most of the little annoying faults would have been sorted if they had popped up 60000 miles in a car with faults would drive you mad!

Hi bud and welcome to the forum. Dont ever but direct from Nissan as their prices are crazy. The traders on here have a lot of experience with the cars and supply the right parts at good prices.

If you fancy a run out on Sunday there will be a crowd of us at Thurrock services from 5 pm. Give you a chance to ask lots of questions and meet a few owners. :D

Thanks for the welcome and tips guys. I've emailed the seller to see if he has replaced the clutch/exhaust.

The Parkers price, corrected for mileage, for a 2004 04 GT at 65k is 10k these days so if he hasn't replaced these parts I will have to offer less.

I'm sure the current prices depress existing owners, but to me it's great - until I try and sell my lovely - albeit relatively slow - MX-5 I suppose!

Thanks for the welcome and tips guys. I've emailed the seller to see if he has replaced the clutch/exhaust.

The Parkers price, corrected for mileage, for a 2004 04 GT at 65k is 10k these days so if he hasn't replaced these parts I will have to offer less.

I'm sure the current prices depress existing owners, but to me it's great - until I try and sell my lovely - albeit relatively slow - MX-5 I suppose!

you're right mate, lost about 6k in 12 months on mine :headhurt:

certainly a buyers market :thumbs: