Grooves on Brake disc. Is it Warranty?

SThai1977

Hi,

I bought a genuine UK 350z roadster new in '05. I have kept it regularly serviced by Nissan and it has just gone in for it's 36,000 P3 "big" service. I have noticed before taking it in that there are four grooves on my off side rear brake disc. Each less than 0.5 cm apart from each other, and all four of them within 5 cm from the inner part of the disc.

My dealer has told me that there is 25% wear left on my Brake Pads. I have not replaced either disc or pads since new, therefore they are the original factory fitted pads and disc. I am not a "hard, agressive" driver. There were no evidence of stones being caught in between the pads and disc.

I have owned several vehicles before and never have I known the brake disc to wear down before the pads. I feel that this may be a warranty job and that there is a defect in either the disc being too soft or the pad being too hard. Does anyone think that this can be a warranty job?

Steve

Brakes not usually warrantied, wear and tear and all that!

I appreciate that Brakes Pads (£148.43) are not warranty due to wear and tear but when the discs (£688.10) wear down and needs replacing before the pads, that is unusual??

Certainly possible something may have been caught in there in the past, but sadly the onus will be on you to prove defect of materials etc. Might just have to give Phil a shout and save some cash over OEM prices.

Brakes not usually warrantied, wear and tear and all that!

I appreciate that Brakes Pads (£148.43) are not warranty due to wear and tear but when the discs (£688.10) wear down and needs replacing before the pads, that is unusual??

what are those prices for full sets of pads or just the rear, same with the discs.

My Z is a 2004, had it since new, before I'd even had 10k (kms) on the clock, Nissan had to replace the rotors as the pads were absolutely chewing through the discs/rotors. Now what Nissan told me at the time, was the first version of the pads (so probably on the earlier models like mine) is that they had not got the compound right on the pads, they were too hard and they were wearing through the discs/rotors excessively fast. I don't know if that helps. I have heard this before, I think it was on http://www.350z-tech.com.

Do you know if your Z had been sitting for a while, ie had a much earlier birth date, than the date you purchased??? It's quite common.

Good luck let us know how you get on.