M55 Blackpool, cameras

AndyC

Was belting it down the M55 towards Blackpool on Sat night and didn't see the 3 dig cameras sat on the bridge (1 covering each lane). Fortunately I'd backed off a good bit by then because of traffic but was still over 80 at the time. A couple of my mates have told me not to worry as they're just there to check regs as theres been a shedload of gypsies come to Kirkham but I'm not convinced. Anybody any ideas? Can I expect a ticket soon or what?

John Prescot said a few years ago that they would never put speed cameras on motorways unless its roadworks. Hope he's stuck to that in this case. B)

That one's out the window then - I was done for 88 in a 70 on the M4 last year. No roadworks in sight!!

:angry:

Andy, normally when there is a camera covering each lane it's Automatic Number Plate Recognition (ANPR) which as your mates say, is used for checking for valid tax discs and insurance etc. There are normally police bikes and cars parked up nearby for the "pull" phase of the operation.

I'm sure that someone will correct me if I'm wrong!! :D

A year or so ago I went under a bridge which had three tripod mounted cameras set up on it at a speed that would have seen me in trouble.

Never heard a thing. These cameras are likely to have been set up to catch untaxed vehicles.

Quite how they catch someone who has no fixed abode I dont know, but thats council and local authority spending for you..

Nice one guys, thanks for setting my mind at rest!

Chris - apparently there's around 20k of them camped up in Kirkham so the local dibble were obviously trying to nick as many of them as poss while they were in 1 place, which is quite right!!

Nice one guys, thanks for setting my mind at rest!

Chris - apparently there's around 20k of them camped up in Kirkham so the local dibble were obviously trying to nick as many of them as poss while they were in 1 place, which is quite right!!

If that's the case then they should have been grenade launchers rather than cameras!! :rant::rant:

But then again, they have no fixed abodes, so where do they send the court notices to? And where do they find them when there is a no show at court? And who pays the court and police expenses for work that will result in absolutley no costs recovered.

Dont get me started on pikeys, My views on them will no doubt cause offence.

Back to the topic though, its unlikely they were speed cameras, and probably the DVLA trying to get untaxed drivers.

I wonder if they've got the Hummer from SVA imports yet? I saw that at Donnington on Saturday, and the licence had expired two weeks ago, DVLA shows it as "about to expire"

Wouldnt fancy getting hit by an untaxed (therefore uninsured?) H2. :headhurt: