Number Plate Fixing Methods for Quick Swap

andrew.pacey

Hi All,

I've recently bought a private registration plate. I haven't received the documents yet from the DVLA but I've had the plates made up. I've got one set made up that is spaced as it should be in order to be legal for road use, and I've got another set made up with incorrect spacing for off road use.

My question is - what is the best method to attach the number plate to allow for easy swapping? I don't want to screw/bolt it. I was thinking of using magnetic tape, sticking two strips to the car and two strips of the opposite magnetic pole to the plate, however I've e-mailed a chap on ebay who sells magnetic tape and he reckons they might fall off when hitting potholes etc (off-road potholes that is) as magnetic tape doesn't perform well under shock. He's suggested velcro tape but I don't know if this is going to look very 'flush' against the car.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

Andy.

I use velcro both at the back and the front, plus two screws at the front, with both front plates drilled at exactly the same position.

For the velcro, I've used four strips about two inches long on each plate, again at exactly the same positions.

The velcro does get "tight" after a while so pulling a plate off should be done gently from one end.

I keep the "not in use" ones in the car so that I can change over whenever needed....

Screwing means you can stick them both together, back to back, and then drive with the off road version and then when stopped, say you had been to a show or a photoshoot and had forgot to turn them over, get your little electric screwdriver out and flip them over.

Just for anyone that is looking to get show plates or plates with "off road" spacing, it will be illegal for plate companys to produce these plates after October the 1st and they will be subject to a £2K fine if they do so. An interesting fact of this is that no garages will be able to add their phone numbers etc to the the plates!

I was recently pulled over for my undesized reg that I was sporting at wales. The car was gleaming and the police officer seemed quite happy that I had just attended a car show and it had slipped my mind to change it over.

Bad cop was being arsey but luckily Good cop was the boss! I also took great pleasure in telling bad cop he filled out my notice of change form incorrectly! :lol:

Hi All,

Many thanks for replies. Liking the idea of sticking two together back to back and then screwing on....also the slot in number plate surrounds are a good idea...not sure if they'd look a bit weird though - they're cheap enough on eBay so might order a set and see. There are a few sets with quite thin borders which would probably look OK!

Interesting about plate companies not being able to sell illegally spaced plates after 1st October. Will this apply to the 'showplate' companies too? I had both sets of plates made by a showplate place....even the legally spaced set as I didn't want the supplier ref and BS number on them, which the proper plate companies have to do legally now.

Just out of interest, how many people on here have actually ever been pulled over with illegal plates? And has anyone ever heard of someone being given the maximum £1,000 fine, or having had their cherished number revoked by the DVLA?

It's only spacing I am changing on mine. I've bought PAC 5Y but will space it PAC5Y. Still in the legal font and letter sizes...but without any supplier id or BS no. Bargain I thought - £550 + fees in the most recent DVLA auction. I was bidding on PAC3Y in the previous auction, but it went for £3,400 + fees (out of my budget!) and is now listed on regtransfers for £19,995. Crazy! Would love P4CEY however that is £35k which is plain silly. Was going to advertise mine but the best valuation I've had is NewReg at £2k, and I'd rather keep it than sell at that.

Andy.

It was a guy from a showplate thing on Sunday at the meet at Brands Hatch that said about Oct 1st and the fines. He says hes going to get round it by setting up the company in Ireland...

I want to get black and silver plates for mine but keep thinking about getting pulled, although I live in London the roz dont seem to bother too much as they have got better things to do...

Also as the rear plate is stuck on I am not sure if there are fixings on the rear to be able to put a screw mount.... But I know you can do the fronts!