Who Gains?

I guess this will be pulled. But since you seem to want me to get involved in the chat, just let me ask who gains from people advertising stuff when they are visiting this site - even only briefly. Surely everone gains. 350Z potential owners will gain, sellers gain - everyone gains. And so what if a few people come and go - you never know what their circumstances are, their access to a PC with internet connection and the like. I myself am trading from a coupe to convertible, and would much rather sell to an enthusiast than trade. So if the cars good and it goes at the right price to the right person ... who gains? Personally I think you should relax and take what comes ... after all isn't that what the internet was intended for?

It certainly wont be pulled.

I see your point very clearly.

The rule of allowing people to advertise after only making a continued contribution to the site was designed to stop people "abusing" the site. Popping on, advertising their wares and dissapearing again. However it may be a little too "black and white".

Perhaps the rule could be ammended to allow advertising of Z related material without any posting history, but require posting history for people wishing to advertise "non" Z related items?

What are peoples views on this?

Well after all, I am trying to sell my 350Z (advert blocked), but obviously could use Auto Trader etc, but hey! if you want a target audience of enthusiasts such as me then why not??? PS My car has Mobil 1 after fighting the dealer to fit at the last service - do you think they will appreciate this when I trade, I guess not. PPS I never even knew of the existance of this site until the other day, so everone was new once!! ... give us a break and if administrators want to guarantee reduction in active members please CARRY ON USING CAPITALS TO SHOUT AT MEMBERS!

Come on Mick, you've made your point and we are agreeing so far. :thumbs:

Yes in the interest of the Z world your post is beneficial.

Rules are there for a reason as Chesterfield pointed out. This is a good case for a rule to be changed though. :)

I'm sorry but I don't agree, even if it's for Z related items.

Why? because a minimum of "background" should be there for possible buyers to check. I bought a few second hand items from people in the US Z forums for example, but always checked how many posts they had, what they posted, and how long they have been members for.

Many, many conmen and fraudsters out there, just read the US Z forums, for example. It's like Ebay feedback (but not as effective, unfortunately). A minimum of regulation needs to be in place, to safeguard the more naive of our members, as some people would assume that since a person is a registered member, he/she is automatically worthy of being trusted.

Admittedly a car is possibly harder to sell fraudolently, but still, imo a little regulation is needed.

PS: come on now, don't take us all for fools, amongst the reasons you listed why you are advertising here, you forgot to add that it's free and selling to a private you'll get more money... ;)

Eh? I really cannot understand your viewpoint. I have bought things on e-bay, and I agree the rule of thumb regarding positive feedback may help in some cases., however your statement on "checking out" members really doesn't hold water though. But I guess as an administrator you hold the ace card. You can put any spin you like on whether I gain since I get a premium for a (free) private sale, or a buyer gains since they get a good car. In either case, surely you get more hits and interest on your site. But as I said, as a 350Z convert, and future convertible owner - if only you would get off your high horse, and give me the opportunity to offer it to like minded individuals. Then I would more likely advertise your site to others. As you state, it would be a little difficult to defraud a buyer for a car, as I am unlikely to post it to them! I cannot believe the naivity of members is really something you should lose sleep over. But neverthless, all reality all you are achieving is a split opinion in what content and rukles should be applied. I'm sure I will read your reposte wih interest.

As you now have 10 posts, feel free to advertise it here now.

I would still advise that 15 posts will be required for "general" items.

We do understand that there certainly is some benefit for members in allowing the advertisment of cars or other items regardless of how much of a contribution that person has made to a site.

However, if you look at this from our point of view, we do not charge money for access to a single area of this site, nor do we expect members to pay anything toward the running or maintenence costs. We do not restrict membership of this site to a select group of individuals, such as owners or pevious owners etc..

Therefore the post limit before advertising is our only control over preventing our site being used by anyone and everyone who wants to advertise anything.

However, as stated , as it seems you are not a flying visitor, and have started to contribute, feel free to advertise your car now.

I am sure you will agree, whilst our status as a 100% open and free forum may be a huge benefit to owners and or motoring enthusiasts in general, it will always be open to abuse, so we do have to take some precautions over how our bandwidth or status is used.

I hope this hasn't caused too much of a problem for you.

Regards,

Chris.

Not being funny but I'm not going to be tempted to buy a car from someone who has dropped by and made 1 post - to sell a car.

You want a free advertising means without making any effort - you are the main person gaining.

I get hacked off at other forums when you see someone selling something and look at their post count to see they have made their first post.

The ebay comparison is fair. Doesn't always count but at least someone who has been around a forum for a period of time will be better known.

10 moaning posts, that's a good start ;):lol:

right on the button Val :thumbs:

That's nice, makes those that are looking around for info very welcome. Do we have to spend a few days posting any old bollocks before we get accepted int to the "click"?

No that is not the case at all. This is just a single measure put in place to prevent people simply using our site as a free advertising board without wishing to contribute in any other way.

You will find that many places impose very similar measures, and those that do not probably receive funding by way of membership fees or sponsorship, rather than the server and its bandwidth being paid for out of the admins and mods back pockets.

So its not a case of posting "any old bollocks" before being accepted. Everyone is accepted, though we do need to place some control over when we allow people to post adverts, otherwise we open ourselves up to everyone and anyone on the planet, using our for sale board without wanting to give anything back to the community.

I am sure the original poster, and most other people will now be aware of this rule, it is also posted in the trading post section - therefore I am locking this topic.