MotoGP: 600cc four stroke plan confirmed

GIXXERUK

BREAKING NEWS just in from DORNA - the governing body of MotoGP:

The Grand Prix Commission, composed of Messrs. Carmelo Ezpeleta (Dorna, Chairman), Claude Danis (FIM), Hervé Poncharal (IRTA) and Takanao Tsubouchi (MSMA), in the presence of Mr. Paul Butler (Secretary of the meeting), in a meeting held today at the circuit of Assen, unanimously decided to introduce the following change to the FIM Road Racing World Championship Grand Prix Regulations.

The Grand Prix Commission accepted the following proposal, taken by the majority of members of MSMA: 4-stroke engines of 600cc maximum and 4 cylinders maximum. A request will be sent to all manufacturers. The candidatures of the manufacturers interested in taking part in the new class must be sent to the FIM and Dorna by July 31, 2008 at the latest. More precise technical specifications will then be discussed and established.

So, a supersport 600 class then. GP racing will never be the same -

So, a supersport 600 class then. GP racing will never be the same -

Can't say I'm surprised. Looks like Dani Pedrosa at < 50kgs is set for a lot of success :teeth:

They're looking in the wrong place if they're trying to reduce lap times. Look at Assen where the outright lap record fell yet again this year to an 800cc bike. Give it 2-3 years and they'll be looking for the next thing to change. IMHO MotoGP needs to stay distinct from road bikes as the ultimate in prototype bike racing.

Rather than reducing CCs they should look at tyre widths, (further) fuel restrictions, higher min. weight, etc, etc.

it replaces the 250cc twins as what the point in promoting what you cant buy, this is why the 400cc class disappeared from the TT

D'oh - just read this second post :blush:

This makes even less sense. I know the emissions are a big deal on strokers, but I guess I'll shut up until we see the rules.