Track Days - The Aftermath

WoREoD

As some of you know I recently did my first track day (well, for 30 years) at Abingdon, and had a great time.

I'd like to go again but next time with two specific objectives:

1) I want to turn off ESP for the whole day.

2) I'd also like to have a go in the wet

I realise 2) is down to luck but if you know of somewhere that can do it artifically I'd be interested.

My only disappointment with Abingdon was the "No timing" rule. Not because I want to show off but because I'd like to know how different techniques affect speed as well as handling.

Are there Track Days where timing is allowed? Or should I look for Motor Club Sprint type events?

JohnK

p.s. My car is OEM standard. I dont want to fit roll-over bars, full harness seatbelts, fireproofing, etc, etc.

John,

I have been with 4 different track people and none allow timing.

The big reason is insurance, if you must get timing the best way is to use a camera and get timing from that. There is also a devices that measure G and timing of 0-60 and similar ranges.

I do have a bullet cam if you want to borrow, do you have a camcorder with AV in.

May be able to post vid of Abingdon from mine and friends elise if I can find the blinking firewire card for my laptop.

Steve

Stevie_350z...

If I do another one I'll probably change/upgrade the Brake Fulid & Pads beforehand. More than 5 laps and things smell like they're cooking. (But I want to keep my car as near OEM as poss.)

Steve_b...

Thanks for the offer. If (or when!) I sign up for another I'll be in touch.

Cheers,

JohnK

Yes there is but sometimes it's good to have a printout so you can see the comparison of all your laps back to back.

A bit difficult to write them down while racing around a track :drive1

Gents,

Be careful about timing as you may get thrown off.

You can use the on-board stop watch, that’s what I did at the Ring, but only because you are away from the marshals and the start/finish is 2 bridges which are on the straight, therefore safe to take one hand off the wheel.

On UK track would not recommend it really. The video is not a timing device, but will get the results of how long it took and will see the line and if you got it wrong.

Steve

John, really up for Abingdon again as only got take twice last time out and have now been told that I have another 1000 RPM to use before the limit kicks in so looking forward to testing it out at 8000 rpm.

Steve

As some of you know I recently did my first track day (well, for 30 years) at Abingdon, and had a great time.

I'd like to go again but next time with two specific objectives:

1) I want to turn off ESP for the whole day.

2) I'd also like to have a go in the wet

I realise 2) is down to luck but if you know of somewhere that can do it artifically I'd be interested.

My only disappointment with Abingdon was the "No timing" rule. Not because I want to show off but because I'd like to know how different techniques affect speed as well as handling.

Are there Track Days where timing is allowed? Or should I look for Motor Club Sprint type events?

JohnK

p.s. My car is OEM standard. I dont want to fit roll-over bars, full harness seatbelts, fireproofing, etc, etc.

John,

I can't drive on the track in the dry with the ESP on, I don't know how you can, it's too intrusive. The car is great with the ESP off, very controllable and predictable.

Oulton Park has drift days where they wet the track with a bowser. Steve_B, Val (TheMinel) and Me went there last summer and did the drift day. The weird thing was that it absolutely chucked it down all day and the bowser wasn't needed.

Here's me. http://media.putfile.com/350z-drift-far-too-hostingy

Here's Val

http://videos.streetfire.net/Player.aspx?fileid=064D6D08-05EE-432F-9917-28D918BA4E22