fixing P1166 error code

ab20000

I'm a few weeks 350z ownership - I have a 53 GT with 37k. Within a few days of buying the car the engine management light appeared, the car felt and sounded fine but I took it to Nissan anyway - they diagnosed it as a P1166 error (Heated O2 Sensor 2). The guy re-set it and all was fine so I assume it's not a major problem. About 15miles later it re-appeared. Don't want to take it to Nissan and fork out for them to fix what might be an easy fix. Has anybody had this problem and is there a known way to fix it myself? Thanks.

Firstly I am not a mechanic.

That said my understanding is that the second sensor gives a signal about the air/fuel mixture and has a longer time period between signals than the first sensor, it is not used for engine control operation.

It may mean that there is either a problem in a connection for the sensor or some other minor problem that is affecting the air / fuel ratio but not a serious one.

As the duration of time between it occurring is reducing I would recommend a professional check to at least rule out a faulty sensor or connection (it is possible given you have a slightly older car).

As said, I'm not a mechanic so follow advice they gave in that it is safe to drive carefully to a professional to get it checked, a Nissan Dealer should have the right equipment to run the diags and be able to eliminate probable causes.

Best of luck.

It should be fine to drive with the light on. Mine used to come on after 50miles & stayed on for months at a time. I would get Nissan to check the sensor though especially as the exhaust is standard

I'm in Hertfordshire I'm affraid - may be worthwhile me getting one of these diagnostic units though. Any idea where to get them and cost? Also do you know will it need to be connected to a laptop? Can you reset the warning light as well as diagnose the problem with it? Thanks,

Directly underneith the cats - near the front of the gearbox, so about centre of the car. I had mine on a ramp when I checked but it wouldnt be a problem to slide under when jacked up. In my experience use a trolley jack and axel stands as I certainly dont trust the standard boot jack to be as strong or stable...esp if you are underneith!

You will see the sensor going in to the cat as its the only place on the exhaust has something plugged into it.

Follow the wire back and there will be a plastic clip connector, this is the most common place for there to be a loose connection. Because its under the car, dirt can work its way in there.

Good luck !