disaster

flirt

Guest prescience
Do you have Unichip EMS - pretty sure there was an issue with the crank angle sensor wire needing to be shielded - which it should be - with APS. APS got this on their development car and were never able to track down the cause, but potentially the noisy signal caused timing problems - which would be a major disaster.

Something to consider and I would check out the US boards for this :)

your quite correct, finally had chance last night to work it out. I need to take the car to poddington sat to have the crank angle sensor replaced. the reason nissan are spotting a problem is because they take the original sensor out! so ive got a mission to northamps sat am, then mission back to brum pack bags then up to chester! if they can fix the issue!

btw this is the 1st issue ive had with the system since last may.

This sounds encouraging :D

Have you managed to establish either by inspection or from the installer that you have the shielded wire? If and it's a big if, it were this issue and the result was only a failed sensor, then you could have been BLOODY lucky. Errors in the crank timing and its inter-relation with cam timing can lead to pre-ignition which can destroy your motor, any motor even built, in seconds. No piston can withstand the spark-igniting the mixture on the upstroke :scare:

As I say, it's a big if :)

Do you have Unichip EMS - pretty sure there was an issue with the crank angle sensor wire needing to be shielded - which it should be - with APS. APS got this on their development car and were never able to track down the cause, but potentially the noisy signal caused timing problems - which would be a major disaster.

Something to consider and I would check out the US boards for this :)

your quite correct, finally had chance last night to work it out. I need to take the car to poddington sat to have the crank angle sensor replaced. the reason nissan are spotting a problem is because they take the original sensor out! so ive got a mission to northamps sat am, then mission back to brum pack bags then up to chester! if they can fix the issue!

btw this is the 1st issue ive had with the system since last may.

This sounds encouraging :D

Have you managed to establish either by inspection or from the installer that you have the shielded wire? If and it's a big if, it were this issue and the result was only a failed sensor, then you could have been BLOODY lucky. Errors in the crank timing and its inter-relation with cam timing can lead to pre-ignition which can destroy your motor, any motor even built, in seconds. No piston can withstand the spark-igniting the mixture on the upstroke :scare:

As I say, it's a big if :)

:scare:

completly lost whats wrong with it now!

went to northamps today to see jamie the guy who built the car. drove the car there at 60mph. got there and he test drove it working fine!!

get home wash the car and its like a normal 350z again. strange! difficult to start but once driving sounds and feels ok until i hit the power and no whooshhh as usual. can hear the turbos spinning and the waist gate.

im lost.. any help?

may still bring it to wales anyway lol

If the turbos are spinning but you're not seeing any boost, then that's got to be the cause. It's not impossible that you've got something stuck in the blades of the turbos, but on both it's a bit unlikely. I wouldn't drive it too much in that state, as if you're not getting any boost the turbos will be spinning as fast as they possibly can, and you'll kill them pretty quickly. :(

Definitely no hoses popped off anywhere?

Guest prescience

It could be that a wastegate is stuck open, so the turbos are spinning but no boost can be generated since the wastegate is venting all the time. How to check this - I don't know

Honestly, you need to pose this on the US forums and you'll have an answer in short time - almost guaranteed :)

This problem shows the lack of knowledge that the uk (prescience apart ;) ) has around FI. We are all at the mercy of tuners. Its annoyin that the US get to do it all for half the price we do otherwise most zeds would be 'charged/Turbo'd. Scary stuff really. I considered TT'ing my zed but every single hiccup would cost me a trip to the tuner not matter how small ....... :blush:

It could be that a wastegate is stuck open, so the turbos are spinning but no boost can be generated since the wastegate is venting all the time. How to check this - I don't know

Very possible, good point. To check you'd need to manually pull the wastegate arm open and see if it closes nice and tight, no play in the springs or anything. Probably need to be done with the car in the air unless you've got arms like pipecleaners :lol:

Guest prescience
This problem shows the lack of knowledge that the uk (prescience apart ;) ) has around FI. We are all at the mercy of tuners. Its annoyin that the US get to do it all for half the price we do otherwise most zeds would be 'charged/Turbo'd. Scary stuff really. I considered TT'ing my zed but every single hiccup would cost me a trip to the tuner not matter how small ....... :blush:

It's very nice of you to single me out, but quite honestly, it's not justified, I don't have the experience and am just trying logically to think what the problem might be and suggest that.

You are quite right though that the real experience you need for this car resides in the States. Generally that is not the case, since for very many cars, the UK is the authority. I'd be willing to bet that if you could post these symptoms up on a UK board (say for the supra) the experts there could have a good stab at diagnosing the issue even not knowing the car :)

It's very nice of you to single me out, but quite honestly, it's not justified, I don't have the experience and am just trying logically to think what the problem might be and suggest that.

You are quite right though that the real experience you need for this car resides in the States. Generally that is not the case, since for very many cars, the UK is the authority. I'd be willing to bet that if you could post these symptoms up on a UK board (say for the supra) the experts there could have a good stab at diagnosing the issue even not knowing the car :)

Its true what you say about the Supra boards, but they have the benefit of having had the car available to them for what, 10 years plus? We've only had the zed for five years and the earliest cars have only been out of warranty for two years, which is not a massive window of opportunity for people to experiment with FI. There are the obvious exceptions though, yourself, Baptist, Val ( :lol: ), Spill, etc etc

I think as the price of the car drops below £10k you'll find all the FI junkies come out of the woodwork as the zed becomes more attractive to ex supra owners and the like.

Give it another five years or so and I reckon there will be plenty of TT'd zeds about and maybe then the uk FI will be self sustainable without needing to refer to the yanks when things go wrong. :)