Speaker Question

Madmarky

Been searching various forums for the ideal size speakers to replace the standard bose rubbish. I want to get a component system for the front and have seen various forums on how to install and destroy original speaker to make a mount for a new one. Does anyone know the preferred radius and depth of the speaker to ensure a good fit? I guess I need a really small tweeter, any recomendation for a component system? What about the rears, is there lots of mounting depth available there?

Im thinking of taking it apart this weekend so if i cant get the info ill just rip the speakers out and try and buy replacemnets. Thanks for any help in advance.

Ta da!

The fronts are 6.5" woofers. A component set should go in OK with ample space behind the door card for most passive cross over systems that come with the speakers.

It depends how much you want to spend. On the list I would have JL Audio, Rainbow and Hertz for a high end system. Infinity speakers will be an upgrade but IMO there are better for the money. Focal are nice, but the tweeter is quite bright and in the Zed the tweeter locations are quite close to you - you might find them a bit harsh.

Depending what headunit you are linking them up to, this can be dialled out and a good sound obtained. Anything using the existing BOSE or other standard set-up will not be making the most out of the speakers at all. If you have the time, I would spend some money on some Dynamat Xtreme to sound proof the doors. Spending time doing that will hugely increase the quality of sound from the speakers.

:)

I'd second what H5 says - my doors are not currently sound deadened and I'm losing low-end definition from the bass drivers. Sound deadening being applied next weekend!

I'd add genesis, diamond, dls and dynaudio (which I have in my car) to the list of good makes and there are plenty of others too. Advice is stay away from the halfords type brands and always consider the second hand market too as car audio stuff seems to be worth about 50% of purchase price as soon as it's been taken out of the wrapper!!!

some 6.5" drivers, dependent on depth, may require a mounting/spacer ring to be made up as the corner of the window can foul on the rear of the speaker when down - but these are easily fabricated out of mdf.

It will be tricky to get high-end tweeters to fit behind the oem panels but they are easy to cut a hole and pop through. It should be cheap enough to get replacement panels if selling the car.

It might be useful if you could tell us how much you had to spend and what the rest of your system components were (e.g. amps, sub, head unit)

I'd second what H5 says - my doors are not currently sound deadened and I'm losing low-end definition from the bass drivers. Sound deadening being applied next weekend!

I'd add genesis, diamond, dls and dynaudio (which I have in my car) to the list of good makes and there are plenty of others too. Advice is stay away from the halfords type brands and always consider the second hand market too as car audio stuff seems to be worth about 50% of purchase price as soon as it's been taken out of the wrapper!!!

some 6.5" drivers, dependent on depth, may require a mounting/spacer ring to be made up as the corner of the window can foul on the rear of the speaker when down - but these are easily fabricated out of mdf.

It will be tricky to get high-end tweeters to fit behind the oem panels but they are easy to cut a hole and pop through. It should be cheap enough to get replacement panels if selling the car.

It might be useful if you could tell us how much you had to spend and what the rest of your system components were (e.g. amps, sub, head unit)

Agree. :)

'Tis true, except some high end stuff can hold it's value if it is THAT good (JL W7 subs for example).

Ta da!

The fronts are 6.5" woofers. A component set should go in OK with ample space behind the door card for most passive cross over systems that come with the speakers.

It depends how much you want to spend. On the list I would have JL Audio, Rainbow and Hertz for a high end system. Infinity speakers will be an upgrade but IMO there are better for the money. Focal are nice, but the tweeter is quite bright and in the Zed the tweeter locations are quite close to you - you might find them a bit harsh.

Depending what headunit you are linking them up to, this can be dialled out and a good sound obtained. Anything using the existing BOSE or other standard set-up will not be making the most out of the speakers at all. If you have the time, I would spend some money on some Dynamat Xtreme to sound proof the doors. Spending time doing that will hugely increase the quality of sound from the speakers.

:)

Nice post Rob, cant argue with any of it. As misge says, It means nothing to me :surrender: