Changed standard (non-bose) radio - no radio signal?

Ozz

I bought a double din DVD player, just a cheap one but thought it would be better than the radio thats in there.

Anyway, fitted it, used a nissan wiring adapter though I had to join the wiring to the adapter for my stereo. The sound is great, CDs work, DVDs work but nothing on the radio.

I've plugged in the black coaxial arial plug in - am I missing something obvious here? There was another plug, round with lots of pins - no idea what that is for.

I have some blue cables left over...I'm sure I've used these for powered arials in the past. Got some orange ones left as well.

Any ideas?

Also noticed I don't have a sub, sounds good already but I might try and get one. Read somewhere on here that only certain models have one. Its years since I messed around with ICE - I assume I'm gonna need an amp as well? Feel such a noob!

Is the car an import? And what was the headunit? If it is US or Jap spec, then don't expect any radio.....

Yeh sorry, its JDM. I had radio 2 (d'oh!) on the old nissan headunit. Didn't go above 90khz so was missing Radio 1!

I had assumed the radio controlled the banding so replacing the radio meant full band on the new one (which supports all bands). Is that not correct?

Not sure where its wired in, but my guess would be you're not supplying any power to the radio amp. On my pac-roem, I seem to remember having to wire in the radio amp? Or is it powered through the HU? I cant remember, but I guess its something around there ;)

:headhurt: right the new stereo is uk and has the correct banding. Its showing an error that no arial connected...

I've not used a pac-roem as I thought these were only for the BOSE?

Has the arial got some kind of power connection that I'm missing maybe? Its possible the head unit is faulty - I'm going to dig out another stereo and see.

All I've done is use the standard micra wiring adapter, plugged the two connectors from that into the Zed connectors (leaves one zed connector unused - perhaps thats the problem?). That adapter wouldn't fit my stereo so have connected the wires and have matched them correctly (i think).

I'm thinking either the headunit is fecked or one wire controls power to the arial (or some kind of radio amp as mentioned???). Gonna see what wiring diagrams are about for the Zed...

Edit - I'm sure its something to do with power to the arial or grounding, just done a search and someone mentioned the zed doesn't earth properly. Gonna try making a new earth - the radio switches off if I pull the arial out..!

Sorted!

The arial needs power, either that or there is a hidden amp somewhere. There is a green cable next to the arial, I connected that to a live and the radio started working!

I bought this linky only cheap but the sound and picture quality is great.

Cheers for your help guys.

Whats the TV part of it like?

Ive been toying with some form of DVD/mp3/radio gizmo, and at £80 its worth a punt, Im not after audiophile quality, just something that does the job.

If it stands half a chance of picking up Coronation Street omnibus on a Sunday to keep the missus happy at car shows, then Ill chuck £80 at it to give it a whirl :lol:

Whats the TV part of it like?

Ive been toying with some form of DVD/mp3/radio gizmo, and at £80 its worth a punt, Im not after audiophile quality, just something that does the job.

If it stands half a chance of picking up Coronation Street omnibus on a Sunday to keep the missus happy at car shows, then Ill chuck £80 at it to give it a whirl :lol:

I didn't bother connecting up the TV arial. The DVD quality is good, as is the sound quality. Some people have paid as little as £45 for that unit, some £120, the average people pay is £80.

The screen when playing music isn't the prettiest, no screensaver as far as I can tell. Still, for the money its fine.

• 2 weeks later...
Out of interest did you find a wiring diagram for it? I'd be interested in a linky if so :)

To be honest I was naughty and just connected the green wire to a live source to see what would happen - I was lucky and it worked!

I've had a few people PM me about the unit I bought, so:

Now that its been in a few days I'm not overly impressed. I'd say its definitly not worth any more than I paid.

The sound quality seems pretty good actually, I'm not that impressed with the interface, there is no screensaver when playing music and it looks a bit crap. The DVD playback is good. The radio reception is awful though to be fair that might not be the units fault.

Overall, for the money its ok. I'll get some pics up in a few days.

did u find the rear speakers are not working anymore since u connected your new radio/dvd player?

I had single din player on my import and the fitters said there was a hidden amp for rears.. so rears still not working.

But yeah he installed a booster for the radio and it worked wonders"!

did u find the rear speakers are not working anymore since u connected your new radio/dvd player?

I had single din player on my import and the fitters said there was a hidden amp for rears.. so rears still not working.

But yeah he installed a booster for the radio and it worked wonders"!

Now I'm not sure on this, not found the front/rear balance yet! I think its coming from the rear but with the small cab its difficult to tell.