Steering column lower joint bolt won't tighten

vroom811

Hi all, 

Am refittng my steering rack and the lower joint lower bolt (see red arrow on pic) won't tighten to the correct torque.

It gets all the way into the hole fine but continues to spin when tightened i.e it never stops being able to turn.  

The bolt doesn't have thread all the way up so i assume this is by design to stop overtightening?  

I had to pry open the lower joint a bit to get it off in the first place and have tried to close it up again by using vice grips but I get the same problem.  

In comparison the similar bolt at the top of the joint comes out and tightens nicely.

Help please!  Thanks. N.

IMG_0160 - Copy.JPG

Just now, vroom811 said:

@ZMANALEX The bolt just spins when i try to take it out.   Tried puting pressure on it with a screwdriver in hope that it "grips" but to no avial.  

Any advice on how to get the bolt out please?

You could try a set of vise grips on the bolt head and pull when you are turning and also at the same time using a drift/hammer gently tap  on the other end of the bolt. (An extra pair of hands will be required)

When you get it out if the bolt looks okay then it will be the joint I am afraid.