Arm rest restoration

KCook

Thought I'd post some pictures of fixing up the scratched arm rest & window switch surround
which seems to be a regular issue with the standard rubberised paint that Nissan used which didn't stand up to a bit of wear and tear.

Pretty easy to un-clip the panels from each door, using some plastic panel removal tools you can get on Amazon for a few quid.

Definitely better to use these than a metal flat head screwdriver.

The passenger side you need to remove the grab handle - first by unclipping the silver plastic panel on the handle itself from the top,

then a bolt top and bottom to remove the handle itself which which needs a socket spanner.

Removing the rubberised paint needed plenty of patience, but a sharp scraper, some tough thumb nails, 1500 and 2000 wet n'dry and white spirit.

Took a good couple of hours to get smooth and to satisfy my OCD.

Seemed like in some places the rubberised paint stuck a lot better than in other places so was harder to get off.  Getting in to the recesses of the

switches is tricky....thumbnails and small flat head screwdriver helps.

Ready for priming now so will post later.

IMG-20200614-WA0002.jpg

IMG-20200614-WA0001.jpg

Edited by KCook
typo

Nice job, when I got my Z mine were in a similar state, sent them off to get sprayed by a contractor that does some work for the company I work for (as a freebie). Still scratch free a year or so later :thumbs:

Wiper arms next? ;)

4 hours ago, Mikey_S said:

Nice job, when I got my Z mine were in a similar state, sent them off to get sprayed by a contractor that does some work for the company I work for (as a freebie). Still scratch free a year or so later :thumbs:

Wiper arms next? ;)

hadnt thought of that...Ill take a look at the weekend.

4 hours ago, mr v6 said:

Looking fresh & new! Can I ask what primer & paint you used, just for reference:thumbs:.

PlastiKote grey Primer
Rust-Oleum 400ml Painter's Touch Spray Paint - Satin Black...they had sold out of PlastiKote satin black