Driver's side windscreen wiper 'loose'

cb350

Hi all,

So to add to my woes with the engine pinking, when I was changing the injectors I noticed that the driver's side windscreen wiper rubs on the bonnet when you lift or shut the bonnet. To be fair, I've noticed the wipers squeaking for a while now when using them.

Pressing down on the wiper arm shows a lot of play up and down, it's like the wiper arm should sit much lower against the windscreen, but the wiper itself is pushing it all up (and therefore making it hit the bonnet).

I took both wipers off and removed the scuttle panel under the wipers - none of the bolts were loose. When I push on the spindle where the driver's wiper arm should sit, the whole thing moves around. I can't see anything to tighten up - does the shaft wear out or something? Do I need a new wiper assembly?

Cheers,

Chris.

• 5 months later...
On 27/06/2020 at 21:57, dotdot said:

Did you ever get to the bottom this? I have the same problem but haven't removed anything to inspect yet.

I haven't fixed it yet, but I'm pretty sure the linkage is worn out. It didn't look like something that is easily servicable, and I was planning on buying a new wiper assembly. Unfortunately, it's a bit expensive!

I think these are the part numbers..

2003-2005 28815-CD000

2006-2008 28800-CF40A

You're looking at approx. £360. It's on my list of things to do, but currently my 350Z is SORN'd (lack of money due to COVID-19!) - and the last time I drove it, I had a weird complete power loss, so it dropped down my list of priorities a bit! If anyone knows of a cheaper alternative, I'd definitely be interested.