I need new front discs - any recommendations

Grant

Only person I know has slotted disks (oem machined ones) is PaulW.

Pyro also had the full BBk from stoptech in his black Z.

I've seen decent disk/pads/brake lines/brake fluid packages to buy on US sites, I'll follow that route when mine need doing :)

I personally do not like the look of the EBD discs as they are a goldie colour, i've used Tarrox discs in the past and have been very pleased with their performance.

If you see the other brakes topic, I would suggest the Nismo pads, but otherwise you cant go wrong with Ferrodo.

Grant,

I went for Nismo pads which seem goot, but now are noisy.

If the disk is hosed and you happy with OEM but want cheap, try RJN as thats where I got mine at about 50% of Nissan price. 2nd hand but hardly used as they were from the JP ones for the Bedford z's

Grant,

I went for Nismo pads which seem goot, but now are noisy.

If the disk is hosed and you happy with OEM but want cheap, try RJN as thats where I got mine at about 50% of Nissan price. 2nd hand but hardly used as they were from the JP ones for the Bedford z's

Cheers Steve. I spoke with Bob and he offered me a good price on a pair of the Palmer sport cars OEM discs which were taken off when they did the Brembo GT kit and are delivery miles only.

I've actually gone for the DBA4000 with Ferodo DS2500 pads. I'll let you know how they perform.

Good choice, the DS2500's are very good pads, the ones to use on heavy’ish M3's & Subarus etc, have used them in the past.

Not sure about the DBA4000s, my personal opinion would be to put some better quality discs on from Brembo, AP or Tarrox. The Z is a heavy car and the Brembo callipers are heavy duty and with some and hard pads like the Ferrodo will need some equally good quality discs, unfortunately that will cost a few quid.

While you are changing the discs and pads, do the brake lines and fluid – see the other thread.

RJN are having the standard discs from JP grooved, I would personally use these rather than the 4000s, although personally I would bite the bullet and put some top quality discs on instead.

Good choice, the DS2500's are very good pads, the ones to use on heavy’ish M3's & Subarus etc, have used them in the past.

Not sure about the DBA4000s, my personal opinion would be to put some better quality discs on from Brembo, AP or Tarrox. The Z is a heavy car and the Brembo callipers are heavy duty and with some and hard pads like the Ferrodo will need some equally good quality discs, unfortunately that will cost a few quid.

While you are changing the discs and pads, do the brake lines and fluid – see the other thread.

RJN are having the standard discs from JP grooved, I would personally use these rather than the 4000s, although personally I would bite the bullet and put some top quality discs on instead.

I already have Nismo Lines and Motul RBF600. The DBA discs are a higher spec than the OEM Brembo ones and have better cooling properties, they are also a higher spec than the Brembo Sport discs, which are now only available in drilled (not ideal for track days).

I have bitten the bullet, the DBA are also a lot more expensive than the Brembo Sport discs. Front DBA4000 and Ferodo 2500's £427. Brembo sport discs and pads £315. AFAIK AP don't sell OEM size discs for the Z, Tarox don't have a fitment for the Z.

Didn’t mean to be inflammatory.

Hadn’t heard of the DBA's, but you obviously are confident in them, would be good to hear your opinion on them when you have bedded them in.

I had the lines and pads done a few weeks ago and am very pleased!!, the car and original discs have only done 5k so is not worth upgrading for the sake of it, when I do then will give the DBAs a look if you're happy with them.

What’s the reasoning behind why drilled discs aren’t ideal on the track, presumably therefore drilled are better? Some high-performance cars have grooved and others drilled (example Porsches), just thought it was two different approaches? – Hadn’t really thought about it until now.

No "flame" taken space cadet, I should do my sig and list mods. I didn't really feel any noticeable performance gains with the lines or pads. On the first dry track day I did the fluid boiled after about 10 minutes and I had no brakes. That was on the standard factory setup.

At the same time I did the Fluid and lines I put Red stuff pads on the front and Yellow stuff on the rear. This set up is better but I still feel a certain amount of softness after about 10 minutes.

Laguna Seca; The only difference between the DBA5000 and 4000 Series is that the 5000 is a two piece with seperate rotor. This is supposed to provide improved and even cooling, reducing the chance of warping and cracking.

Although the initial cost is higher there is a major cost saving over time because you only have to change the rotor and not the whole disc. Replacement 5000 series Rotors are £140 each as opposed to £190 for a 4000 series disc. Almost saving you the increased purchase price after your first disc/rotor change. There are other benefits to them being seperate such as a lightweight hat reducing unsprung weight, the ability to swap between a road disc and track disc, i.e. Slotted Vs. Cross Drilled.

Not sure of the exact science but according to DBA Cross Drilled are not suitable for track driving, maybe it's just their discs but I can't recall any motor sports cars with cross drilled. Also I've been studying discs on high performance cars and I've seen fractures on cross drilled discs (I saw a Mercedes SL55AMG that was really bad!!).

Unfortunately the 5000 series weren't in stock so I had to have the 4000 series.

I'm getting them from http://www.wallaceperformance.com I'll let you know what I think when they're bedded in.