Changing Speakers in 350z??

jimbosmith

Hi everyone, im looking to upgrade/change my speakers.  I just want to change the door speakers first as i have heard the rears dont provide too much sound overall

I currently have a DMX7017DABS headunit installed using this http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/incar-tec-29-674-nissan-350z-bose-amplified-steering-control-interface-adaptor

What i want to know is.   

1... If i purchase two 6.5" speakers, will it be plug and play or do i need to change out the Amp located in the boot?  Is this the only additional job or will i need to run new wires to the head unit? 

I'd say it isn't plug and play. The Bose stuff is all designed to work together, so I'd recommend completely replacing it.

For an aftermarket amp, you'd need power cabling from the battery, signal from the head unit to the amp, and then cables out to the speakers. Most installs seem to chuck the amp in the glove box or the void behind the factory sub.

For a simpler solution, you could just unplug the Bose amp, and run speaker wires from the back of the HU to the speakers...

I've just finished a speaker & amp install so might be able to give you a rough idea.  I've got the exact same head unit as well.

Yes you can just upgrade the speakers.  You'll need to buy/make a set of spacers as the new speaker will be too deep to fit.  I found that the stock spacer didn't fit my 6.5" speakers so I had to make my own out of MDF.  The spacer needs to be at least an inch thick.

To get the most out of it you will want to install an amp, otherwise you won't be utilising the speakers to their full potential.  If you don't want to do that, I'd be tempted to bypass the Bose amp completely, meaning running wires from your head unit to the speakers.

I put new wires in for the front speakers, which is a PITA as you have to drill holes in the plastic connectors that go through the doors.  Once you know how to do it though it's pretty easy.  

The rest of the wires are very easy to run, just pop of a few panels, and tuck them all in, it's really not that bad of a job as long as you don't mind spending a weekend doing it.

Edited by Kryptek49

3 hours ago, Kryptek49 said:

I put new wires in for the front speakers, which is a PITA as you have to drill holes in the plastic connectors that go through the doors. 

That is true. But it is more or less required... I originally looked at putting my amp in the boot, so I could re-use the exising speaker wiring. Decided it was a bad move when the round-trip impedance to the driver's door was roughly half that of the speaker I was using. Didn't want 1/3 of my amp's power heating up the wiring :wacko: