PAC ROEM and earth wire

Dave_McC

My PAC ROEM arrived from the US last week and I bought a Nissan Micra 4 speaker adaptor cable (PC2-76-4). I've wired these together this afternoon, with the aerial amp wire from the PAC connected to the remote power pin in the ISO connector, and the amp power on wire left as a flylead to be attached direct to the head unit's amp control wire (I'll be fitting a Kenwood 5220).

My question is that I've read on a number of posts that an earth lead needs to be connected to the chassis. Can someone explain if this is require and if so where - looking at the loom I've made up, it picks up the original ground wire from the Z's loom, through the PAC ROEM and then up into the ISO connector (presumably via there it's the head unit's main earth point).

Thanks

Dave

There is no earth in the standard loom - this is the problem - the adapter might use the standard pin in the connector but there is nothing on the car side of the connector. The factory head unit grounds it self via the screws that hold it in.

You will have to put an extra cable to one of the fixing bolts from the factory head unit

There is no earth in the standard loom - this is the problem - the adapter might use the standard pin in the connector but there is nothing on the car side of the connector. The factory head unit grounds it self via the screws that hold it in.

You will have to put an extra cable to one of the fixing bolts from the factory head unit

That seems to ring a bell with me, I seem to remember having to earth one of the wires to the chasis :thumbs:

One extra thought is if you plug your unit in it probably will work if your aerial is plugged in. I actually installed mine all for a month or so before having to tweak something. I tried powering on the unit all plugged in but pulled out of the dash but it would not turn on ....because the aerial was not in - it was using that for the ground!! i.e. power it through the head units chassis - not good. That let me to trace the earth cable finding the lack of it.

Cheers guys. Would never have thought the nissan loom wouldn't have an earth running in it....

Dave

It because they earth it to the chasis through the original HU I think. And the aerial can be used as an earth as it has a powered amp attached to it.