Cars shaking at 110mph

Newbie 350GT

Take it to a garage and get the drop links and wish bones checked. The bushes may LOOK fine and you will not be able to move them by hand (If you can they really are fubar'ed) but any decent mechanic will tell if they are worn, shot etc. This can and will cause the problem you describe.

Check the wheels to make sure the balance weights they put on are STILL THERE. The sticky ones easily fly off and the wheels will then be miles out again!!

Mrs Ming had the same problem with her Celica and it was a damaged tyre - on the back. If you do not feel it through the steering wheel it is not the front wheels.

If you have the same size front and rear just swop them round and see if it feels any different.

I would strongly advise AGAINST taking the vehicle out of gear at the speeds you are talking!! If you need to check it then just dip the clutch for a VERY brief period to see if things change.

Good luck and let us know what sorts it out!

Ming the every so slightly concerned

Take it to a garage and get the drop links and wish bones checked. The bushes may LOOK fine and you will not be able to move them by hand (If you can they really are fubar'ed) but any decent mechanic will tell if they are worn, shot etc. This can and will cause the problem you describe.

Check the wheels to make sure the balance weights they put on are STILL THERE. The sticky ones easily fly off and the wheels will then be miles out again!!

Mrs Ming had the same problem with her Celica and it was a damaged tyre - on the back. If you do not feel it through the steering wheel it is not the front wheels.

If you have the same size front and rear just swop them round and see if it feels any different.

I would strongly advise AGAINST taking the vehicle out of gear at the speeds you are talking!! If you need to check it then just dip the clutch for a VERY brief period to see if things change.

Good luck and let us know what sorts it out!

Ming the every so slightly concerned

you guys are gonna cuss me when i say this

but the car is an automatic.so cant dip the clutch :(

but i think the general advice is to take it to a garage :(

more chedder required :rant:

thanks for the reply.appreciate it. ming the mercelous

Worn bushes will generally show themselves by clunking when the steering is turned and car is stationary, although why worn bushes would show at 110mph is beyond me and vey unlikely, more likely to show when braking or at a slower speed

taking the car out of gear at speed would not create any problems whatsoever :wacko: providing you're on a private road with no one up your chuff

i did say earlier about the tyres, eggs, uneven tyre wear, my bro had a similar problem with toyos, which were replaced as they were a "bad" batch ??

it doesnt shake at all at lower speeds 60-70 mph ? poor balance normally reveals itself in increments

Worn bushes will generally show themselves by clunking when the steering is turned and car is stationary, although why worn bushes would show at 110mph is beyond me and vey unlikely, more likely to show when braking or at a slower speed

taking the car out of gear at speed would not create any problems whatsoever :wacko: providing you're on a private road with no one up your chuff

i did say earlier about the tyres, eggs, uneven tyre wear, my bro had a similar problem with toyos, which were replaced as they were a "bad" batch ??

it doesnt shake at all at lower speeds 60-70 mph ? poor balance normally reveals itself in increments

well the car was shaking at just over 70.so i had the wheels balanced (i ust got the car, so was unaware of these issues). quite embarassing driving around in a 3.5 with Ford Ka's over taking you. anyway. got the wheels balanced and tested it out. now it starts shaking at just over 100.

got the service done, and the chap said i had a nasty cut on the inside of one of my tyres. but i dont know if that might be causing the WHOLE car to shake. steering wheel and everything.. its almost like there are ridges on the road..light but noticable vibrations.

well the car was shaking at just over 70.so i had the wheels balanced (i ust got the car, so was unaware of these issues). quite embarassing driving around in a 3.5 with Ford Ka's over taking you. anyway. got the wheels balanced and tested it out. now it starts shaking at just over 100.

got the service done, and the chap said i had a nasty cut on the inside of one of my tyres. but i dont know if that might be causing the WHOLE car to shake. steering wheel and everything.. its almost like there are ridges on the road..light but noticable vibrations.

only other thing I can think it could be is sarnie put his dildo in your boot that turns on at over a 100 mph, have a check :lol:

only other thing I can think it could be is sarnie put his dildo in your boot that turns on at over a 100 mph, have a check :lol:

i think we have a winner :thumbs::lol:

The reason I said I was cautious about 'knocking it out of gear' at the speeds mentioned is that the gearing and drive of a car gives an element of control to the car. If it is shaking and you knock it out of gear the problem COULD get worse. With no gearbox to drive through or out of the problem it COULD be dangerous. Until we knew it was automatic dipping the clutch for a few seconds seemed a much safer idea.

I agree with you thoughts on the wishbone with one rider.

I had a very similar problem albeit at a lower speed with a proton I had. It would come up at certain points of acceleration but got worse under breaking :scare:

Previously it was described as having a small split but if the guy who balanced your tyres said its got a 'NASTY SPLIT' in one of the tyres then it has hit either a rock or a kerb and as such the tyre/wheel is almost certainly the problem.

Let us know the outcome.

Ming the interested

The reason I said I was cautious about 'knocking it out of gear' at the speeds mentioned is that the gearing and drive of a car gives an element of control to the car. If it is shaking and you knock it out of gear the problem COULD get worse. With no gearbox to drive through or out of the problem it COULD be dangerous. Until we knew it was automatic dipping the clutch for a few seconds seemed a much safer idea.

I agree with you thoughts on the wishbone with one rider.

I had a very similar problem albeit at a lower speed with a proton I had. It would come up at certain points of acceleration but got worse under breaking :scare:

Previously it was described as having a small split but if the guy who balanced your tyres said its got a 'NASTY SPLIT' in one of the tyres then it has hit either a rock or a kerb and as such the tyre/wheel is almost certainly the problem.

Let us know the outcome.

Ming the interested

the nasty cut is in the front passenger side tyre, which i need to replace anyway. but i would have thought the shake would have been limited to the steering at taht speed.not the whole car :(

i think im gonna have to get it checked out somehow and change the tyres anyway

the ideal would be to swop the wheels - front to back if poss, this would indentify if the tyre/wheel is the problem and which it is

back and front wheels are not the same width to swap im afraid

:(

Do you know another Zed owner nearby?

If so swop all wheels from one car to the other and try it. It will take more time to swop the wheels that it will to test it but at least you will KNOW whether the wheel tyre combination is to blame.

Ming the considered

PS Nasty cut in front tyre + brick or other object in road = blown tyre and CRASH

Take it steady dude.

Ming the Worried

If so swop all wheels from one car to the other and try it. It will take more time to swop the wheels that it will to test it but at least you will KNOW whether the wheel tyre combination is to blame.

Ming the considered

PS Nasty cut in front tyre + brick or other object in road = blown tyre and CRASH

Take it steady dude.

Ming the Worried

oh lord ming

thank you for that suggestion.

unfortunately i live in a crap area and dont know any body there!! the only one i know who has a z is in florida :scare:

iv been given so many suggestions here im scared shitless.

bushings

tyres

wheel nuts

wish bone

spacers

lol.

wtf did i end up buying!!

i do need to get front tyres replaced cos of the cut.. decent ones are 100 a pop.low on cash right now..so risking my life for 200 smackers :blush:

anyone know where to get some decent lock in wheel nuts? no one seems to blooming stock em! its unbelievable? also tyres..any good places?

Ming the considered

Take it steady dude.

Ming the Worried

oh lord ming

unfortunately i live in a crap area and dont know any body there!! the only one i know who has a z is in florida :scare:

bushings

tyres

wheel nuts

wish bone

spacers

lol.

i do need to get front tyres replaced cos of the cut.. decent ones are 100 a pop.low on cash right now..so risking my life for 200 smackers :blush:

anyone know where to get some decent lock in wheel nuts? no one seems to blooming stock em! its unbelievable? also tyres..any good places?

where about you based mate, if you are near my neck of the woods ill come see ya and will bring spare wheel for you to try

Ming the considered

Take it steady dude.

Ming the Worried

oh lord ming

bushings

tyres

wheel nuts

wish bone

spacers

lol.

where about you based mate, if you are near my neck of the woods ill come see ya and will bring spare wheel for you to try

zrush, ur a star for offering. and i would take u up on it if it wasnt for me feeling utterly guilty afterwards.

i live in colchester. where abouts are you? i could come to u

is that colchester essex? Im just on the otherside of the dartford tunnel :thumbs:

yes essex

between chelsmford and ipswich..toward norwich

ur in kent then?

well London kinda, near greenwich and blackheath but takes me 10 mins to get to bluewater :thumbs:

is that colchester essex? Im just on the otherside of the dartford tunnel :thumbs:

yes essex

ur in kent then?

well London kinda, near greenwich and blackheath but takes me 10 mins to get to bluewater :thumbs:

cool brother man

ill email you the update. gonna get the tyres changed anyway cos of the cut on it.. if that fails.ill defo take u up on that offer.

thanks man..appreciate it.

yes essex

ur in kent then?

cool brother man

ill email you the update. gonna get the tyres changed anyway cos of the cut on it.. if that fails.ill defo take u up on that offer.

thanks man..appreciate it.

no worries :thumbs: