Bad Weather Storage Solutions

Fervidia

With the most recent example of extreme weather in the form of snowfall across the majority of the UK (from my eyes), I was just wondering what you Z owners think is necessary to protect your assets when not in use.

Now, I understand that a nice lovely garage would be ideal, but that isn't an option for me, unfortunately. I do, however, own a drive, so what alternatives are there to leaving a Z out all year round? Car covers are one such example, but are they good or bad for a car?

What do you guys do and/or think about such methods?

Covers are good if you can make sure the car is completely free of dust and grit. Other wise as the wind and rain hit it it moves the grit around and causes more damage than no cover at all. You can get inflatable car covers that I quite like the idea of but am having trouble convincing the SO its a good idea. 

See the source image

I'm not  keen on car covers as I never get them secure and wind can do damage along with car not breathing etc., but by accident, I had a waterproof sail canopy in my hut which was no use when it rained as it just created a small swimming pool on top of my framed canopy so it went back in the hut, so the other day I put it on my 370z to try it out, it has 4 ties, one at each corner, so I secured back ties onto exhausts at rear and the other two tiesunderneath front bumper and secured both ties to my torqen towing eye. Surprisingly it has been great over these past couples of days, the wind flows from front to back and airs the car and blows all the snow off, car is bone dry underneath, very pleased:yahoo:This was a 3mx 4m sail canopy bought off eBay:D

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Jay84 said:

Covers are good if you can make sure the car is completely free of dust and grit. Other wise as the wind and rain hit it it moves the grit around and causes more damage than no cover at all. You can get inflatable car covers that I quite like the idea of but am having trouble convincing the SO its a good idea. 

See the source image

These seem like a great idea, but they look expensive, and that's without a compressor...

1 hour ago, Jay84 said:

I also think they're more for indoor use of you have a dusty garage etc.

Now if only I could knock a wall through and make a garage/living-room combo with a Z slap bang in the middle...

• Like 1