Bedding in new pads

Argyll

I was reading Bigphils guide on bedding in new pads and I'm looking for some clarification please.

Where he states "On a clear stretch of road take the car up to 70mph brake firmly but not aggressively down to 30mph drive 1/4 mile and repeat about 5 times then drive gently to allow the brakes to cool.

At no point come to a complete rest with your foot still on the brake pedal"

So when I get down to 30mph and I accelerate back up to 70mph am I supposed to keep my left foot gently on the brake as I accelerate or do I not press the brake pedal at all?

I was reading Bigphils guide on bedding in new pads and I'm looking for some clarification please.

Where he states "On a clear stretch of road take the car up to 70mph brake firmly but not aggressively down to 30mph drive 1/4 mile and repeat about 5 times then drive gently to allow the brakes to cool.

At no point come to a complete rest with your foot still on the brake pedal"

So when I get down to 30mph and I accelerate back up to 70mph am I supposed to keep my left foot gently on the brake as I accelerate or do I not press the brake pedal at all?

Foot off the pedal when accelerating basic idea is heat,cool,heat,cool, etc

amazing the info and help you don't get from other suppliers ;)

Ok thanks guys.

The last disc at the back was a right pain to get on. I couldn't get it over the handbrake shoes but after about half an hour of fiddling I got there eventually.

I went for a 60 mile drive through the Trossachs. I seem to be getting a rubbing noise from that side though but it's eventually starting to fade. Is this normal or should I take it back off and check?

Handbrake need readjusting perhaps? I'd give Phil a shout, he'll get it sorted for ya :thumbs:

+1 normally when fitting rears you back off the adjustment, fit new pads and allow the handbrake to self adjust, its probably getting better as its wearing, jack up - handbrake off, spin the wheel and check for it binding :thumbs:

Well I still seem to have a rubbing/grinding noise from my rear nearside tyre. I've taken the wheel back off and had a look but everything seems okay. It also drives fine except for this noise. The noise is not constant and only seems to come on when I brake and for some minutes after.

I've only driven on them for about 40-50 miles so should I just tolerate it and hope it will go away or should I get it checked out>

It's times like this when I wish I just went to BigPhil. You live and learn eh?

Another thing. When I got the discs the boxes stated left and right. I assume is the nearside etc? I'm just hoping I haven't put them on the wrong sides.

Give Phil a call, he will sort it out.

This seems to be a significant problem, I've never had any kind of noise like that with mine.

Have you tried to wind back the hand brake by removing the ash tray (infront of hand brake) and loosening the nut as per the service manual?

I spoke to Phil today but briefly as I was at work. Phil asked me if when the car is jacked up can I spin the wheel? I'm not sure if I can or not and I won't get the chance probably until Monday now as I'm away for the weekend.

What I want to know is that in order to spin the rear wheels will I have to have both rear wheels off the ground or just the one? The reason I'm asking is that I know it's a rear wheel drive so I don't know if this affects it. I tried spinning the rear nearside with the wheel off but it wouldn't budge I'm just wondering if I need to spin it with the wheel on to get more leverage as it were.

Thanks for your help Phil, I'll call you probably Monday.