Hinges

dkeenan87

Hi all,

I've got an 05 Coupe Z. When I bought it the door was catching on the sill/strike plate, and the door would move up and down when open which told me the hinge/s were knackered. Other than that though, everything was fine, the door lined up and was tight to all the seals.

I sourced a second hand top hinge and replaced it. The bottom one seemed fine. 

Now the door shuts smoothly and doesn't catch anywhere. However, it doesn't sit tight on the seals (wind noise around 80MPH and I can push the window out with my hand) and the line across the door and the rear panel doesn't run flush. It's straight, but the door looks like it is standing proud a bit (which would make sense for the wind noise).

My question, therefore, is whether different hinges were made that are a different size (so in my case creating a bigger gap from door pillar to door which would also push out the handle end). I've shoved the strike plate all the way back to pull it in and it hasn't made any difference so it's not that. When I changed the hinge, I did notice that the number on the new one was different to what I took off (I can't remember what it was now but say the one that was on was 43 and the one I put on was 53) but I understood that they were all the same size so didn't think much of it.

Anybody know if they did make different sizes? Maybe the one I put on is from a Roadster if they're different.

Thanks,

They are a bit of a pig to get correct, that is why when I am removing/refitting doors I always leave the hinge on the pillar.

If I have got to replace a hinge then I always mark the hinge position on the pillar.

So I guess that you are now in a situation of adjustment trial and error.

If your replacement hinge came from a damaged car, then perhaps the hinge may have a slight twist that you will not see with the naked eye.