Decisions, Decisions ...

SiriusProjects

Hi All,

Been without a zed now since last October and have decided that I want another one. Currently sorting my finances out, but hope to be in the market for one in the next month or two.

My last zed was a Ultra Yellow 2005 GT4 which had the DE engine and I'm aware that newer zeds have the HR engine. Now I know everyone on the forum will have their own particular preference, but the main points i'm interested in are as follows:

1.  For the additional cost in Tax, is upgrading to a zed with a HR engine worth it?

2. Performance gains through modding. Is there more scope with the HR engine than there was with the DE engine?

3. Lastly, are the differences between a HR zed and a DE zed, significant enough to be a deal breaker?

Oh, in case your wondering, I haven't forgotten about the 370Z. Just not sure I can push my budget to affording one of those.

I'm sure people will have more detailed answers but as a rough answer:

1.  For the additional cost in Tax, is upgrading to a zed with a HR engine worth it?

- General consensus is yes and it doesn't really add up to much more if you break it down to a weekly basis and think that way. Plus, you get the better engineered engine (I think there may be oil gasket issues on some) and a slightly better interior (I wouldn't get your hopes up there though).

2. Performance gains through modding. Is there more scope with the HR engine than there was with the DE engine?

- There are more aftermarket parts available for the DE engine but the HR is better for forced induction. I suppose technically there are more gains to be had with the DE, but this is likely to still be less power than the HR unless you start doing cam work etc. (Horsham have a thread of a 330hp DE that's had cam work, they said an HR pulls at 310hp on their dyno - so that's a fair bit of money/work to exceed the HR). I believe the HR can hold multiple maps though, would need to confirm that with someone.

3. Lastly, are the differences between a HR zed and a DE zed, significant enough to be a deal breaker?

- I wouldn't say so, it's more lots of small changes. Updated head/tail lights, slightly better interior, bonnet bulge, etc. If you were definitely going to FI then I'd go for the HR otherwise I'd just buy the best condition car regardless of the engine.

I'm a tad odd but if it were me I'd prob go for a RevUp car (one without excessive oil consumption problem if possible) as apparently the HR got a tad heavier so the extra power isn't a huge difference. So with the RevUp you get some extra power without the extra weight (the weight issue could be exaggerated/made up so happy to be proven wrong).

Edited by Colin747

Thanks Colin747,

As you say, I'm sure other people will have other views and opinion, but you have raised some good points.

I would have kept my GT4 had it not been for financial difficulties at the time. It was the perfect buy. The price was within my budget, you got a little more power and being a 2005 model, it was in the lower tax bracket. 

I would love to upgrade to the 370Z, but having looked at the current prices, I'm really going to be hard pushed to find the finances for that.

Opinions seem mostly based around a few extra revs to play with and better interior, for the increase in cost, i personally wouldnt or couldnt warrant it, being you have driven a de you are in a perfect position to make a balanced judgement so go get a drive in one, only you can decide if its warranted :)

Thanks Jetpilot.

Your right, ultimately it is down to me. 

I have been looking on Ebay and Autotrader, but if the timing is right and a forum member happens to be selling one, then I'd definitely prefer buying one from someone on here. At least that way you know it's coming from someone who has the same sort of passion for zeds and it's more likely that it's been well looked after too.