Cheap Sat Nav mounting solution for Zed

stanski

Hi hope this helps owners without built in satnav like me? :)

Last year I decided to join the current century and gave in to buying a small SatNav - FujitsuSiemens N100 - really neat little unit - anyway to cut a long story short I found a nice method of mounting it - not to the windscreen. Works well in Zed also - here is a copy of the article I did for the Fujitsu forum. (in my usual stupid stylie -sorry) :blush:

Because this unit is so tiny you can mount it on your rearview mirror!

I guess other manufacturers fittings are similar in design so you should be able to adjust yours to suit - not sure about Tom Tom though they are huge units - probably the mirror will fall off with the weight? :lol:

Ok in best Blue Peter style, you will need:

Ingredients:

Approx 10 x 3/4 inch Velcro (both hook and loop)(not self adhesive) (Pound shop/Quality save!)

Short strip of double sided sticky tape (2 inches)

Small rubber or firm foam strip (1/4 or 1/2 inch thick x 2inches long)

Stapler

Sissors

10 minutes cooking time

Preperation:

Cut the Velcro into 2 strips 5 inches long

Pull apart the hook from the loop, overlap 1/2 inch on one end and put together so it hooks, then in the middle put a staple in (see pics) Repeat for other strip.

Feed the velcro through the small mounting holes in the cradle - hooks on top loop on bottom (see pics)

Ensure the stapled bit is out of harms way and centre the velcro so its roughly equi-distant either side of cradle.

Now cut a slight nip either side of the velcro on back of cradle where it enters and exits the holes, this releases the pressure on it - since its slightly wider than the holes and also stops it sliding about in the holes (clever eh!)

Now put the double sided tape across the middle of the back of the cradle and stick the bit of foam to it -this acts as a grip and positions the unit securely.

Enjoy:

Now proceed in an orderly manner to your horseless carriage and wrap the velcro around your rearview mirror - one side across the mounting rod and the other tight across the back of the mirror housing so its offset towards the passenger side. Nice and simple and I think safer. Your near to it and have a chance to see the teeny weeny writing and hear Miss Sat Nav wittering away the instructions while you listen to your bangin' tunes on the 8 track!

Be careful you dont want to block your rear sight though - works best on a wider mirror .

Stupid thing is I dont need it day to day as its not got Traffic management so it sits at home until I need to go somewhere different or abroad! :wacko:

Stan