Roadster quirks.

UK_350z

Hello all, proud new owner of a 2006 350z GT Roadster and so far I'm very impressed. It's only been a week but I've not stopped grinning like a Cheshire cat.

the one and only isissue I have is with the roof, whwhich I knew about when I bobought it but has so fafar has be stumped.

I've read about the 5th bow motor issue so I took out the 5th bow motor and replaced the brushes as this seems to be the most common issue. Wasn't as difficult as I thought and when I connected the motor to a 12v power supply it buzzed into life. Happy days.

One thing I noticed before taking the motor out was when the motor was plugged in it didn't make any noise when I pressed the electric roof switch, I assumed it was because the brushes were worn out and the motor wouldn't work anyway.

However, before I put the motor back in place I put a multimeter to the plug (that goes into the motor) and there was no reading, which I think means​ no power is getting to the motor .

I've checked the relay in the engine bay, found the fuse box inside but I don't think there's fuse for the electric roof there.

So I'm back to square one, with a refurbished motor

Would anyone have any other suggestions I could try?

Thanks all.

Hello all, proud new owner of a 2006 350z GT Roadster and so far I'm very impressed. It's only been a week but I've not stopped grinning like a Cheshire cat.

the one and only isissue I have is with the roof, whwhich I knew about when I bobought it but has so fafar has be stumped.

I've read about the 5th bow motor issue so I took out the 5th bow motor and replaced the brushes as this seems to be the most common issue. Wasn't as difficult as I thought and when I connected the motor to a 12v power supply it buzzed into life. Happy days.

One thing I noticed before taking the motor out was when the motor was plugged in it didn't make any noise when I pressed the electric roof switch, I assumed it was because the brushes were worn out and the motor wouldn't work anyway.

However, before I put the motor back in place I put a multimeter to the plug (that goes into the motor) and there was no reading, which I think means​ no power is getting to the motor .

I've checked the relay in the engine bay, found the fuse box inside but I don't think there's fuse for the electric roof there.

Thanks all.

Have you tried Bridging the switch on the brake pedal before testing with multimeter ?

• Like 1

Thanks all.

Have you tried Bridging the switch on the brake pedal before testing with multimeter ?

Thanks for the reply, Classix, appreciate it.

If you mean have I pressed the brake pedal while testing with a multimeter then yes I have.

I've bought a new switch just to rule that out but if that doesn't work then I'm stumped. Again.

Edited by SuperStu
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

I think the most important thing with these roofs is keeping them well lubricated due to their over complicated design.

Some say they won't operate in cold temps but mine is works fine on cold days.

Not much help with your issue I know.

My350z has a roadster section with loads of info on various roof problems.

Edited by Kev
  • Like 1