Private Plate Switchover

jamiebridge

I bought a private reg, the v750 came through and i just registered it online to my car, it says i can now get my plates made up and on the car as soon as possible. I also informed my insurance company, who updated my policy.

How long do i get to do this? I was planning on leaving the old reg on the car until Saturday morning (2 days).

Will I be ok with this? I wont be driving around illegally for those 2 days will I?

I know there is plenty of online documentation about assigning plates, but i cant find the answer to the specific question above.

Thanks for any help.

I bought a private reg, the v750 came through and i just registered it online to my car, it says i can now get my plates made up and on the car as soon as possible. I also informed my insurance company, who updated my policy.

How long do i get to do this? I was planning on leaving the old reg on the car until Saturday morning (2 days).

Will I be ok with this? I wont be driving around illegally for those 2 days will I?

I know there is plenty of online documentation about assigning plates, but i cant find the answer to the specific question above.

Thanks for any help.

If you have advised your insurance company already then i hate to say it but i suspect if you drive it on the old plate you are technically not insured, also ANPR will flag you as the old plate is no longer the registered plate for that vehicle/insurance combination.

If you hadnt told the insurance company you would be fine as I believe you are ok for a few days to get new plates made up and put on.

The conditions of applying to put the plate on the vehicle online do state:

"Your registration number will be put on a vehicle straight away if you apply online."

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You need to put the new plates on before you drive it. Not for insurance purposes, but because you'll ping the ANPR for an uninsured, untaxed and un-MOT'd vehicle by driving on 'false' plates.

Should've waited until you had the plates to inform your insurer. Who says you received the paperwork, after all?

Thanks for any help.

If you have advised your insurance company already then i hate to say it but i suspect if you drive it on the old plate you are technically not insured, also ANPR will flag you as the old plate is no longer the registered plate for that vehicle/insurance combination.

If you hadnt told the insurance company you would be fine as I believe you are ok for a few days to get new plates made up and put on.

The conditions of applying to put the plate on the vehicle online do state:

"Your registration number will be put on a vehicle straight away if you apply online."

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You need to put the new plates on before you drive it. Not for insurance purposes, but because you'll ping the ANPR for an uninsured, untaxed and un-MOT'd vehicle by driving on 'false' plates.

Should've waited until you had the plates to inform your insurer. Who says you received the paperwork, after all?

Sorry guys, I should have been more specific, i have informed the insurer however they asked me which date i wanted to change the policy on (to the new reg) so i asked them Saturday, so currently my car is still insured on its old plates until Saturday morning.

When i registered the plates to the car online, all i got was something along the lines of 'please use the attached form to get new plates made, apply new plates as soon as possibe'.

It didn't mention anything about my old plates being invalid within the switchover period. 'apply new plates as soon as possible' is pretty vague.

Edited by jamiebridge

Sorry guys, I should have been more specific, i have informed the insurer however they asked me which date i wanted to change the policy on (to the new reg) so i asked them Saturday, so currently my car is still insured on its old plates until Saturday morning.

When i registered the plates to the car online, all i got was something along the lines of 'please use the attached form to get new plates made, apply new plates as soon as possibe'.

It didn't mention anything about my old plates being invalid within the switchover period. 'apply new plates as soon as possible' is pretty vague.

OIC now! Well in that case it's fine and my last sentence applies.

• Like 1