Reassembling Rear Axle

Dal123

Hi guys, can anyone advise of any tricks to reinstall the rear axle at the joint where it meets th wheel?

I've replaced the rear wheel bearings and the axle on the driver's side went back in fine, however I must've been rougher with the nearside axle as it's popped out of place with the knuckle which is attached to the spline shaft.

I took the axle out of the car and managed to get it aligned back correctly (twice) however when putting it back on you need to wiggle it in their so harshly it causes it to displace. When I then spin the bearing it does not turn the axle properly as it's not connected to the axle.

Grateful of any input, taken me 2 days so far and need to get the car back on the road.

Thanks Keyser, the wheel bearing (8) is connected to the hub (16) via the 4 bolts.

The axle at point SEC 396 has another spline/ connection with the middle of the axle at the top end (SEC 396'ish). It's joint is covered by the rubber sleeve so it's tricky to see how it connects. I'm pretty sure it's another spline that sits in the other. Trouble is it dislodges when you put it back in place if you take it out as it's so tight on room.

I think my only option is to try resetting it in-situ.

Thanks ZMA, why is it neccessary to remove the rubber boot?

This would mean removing it completely from the car again, removing the boot, reattaching, replacing the boot and applying a new metal strap then putting it back on the car and disloding it again when putting it back on as it's so tight on room.

I'm pretty sure I reconnected it twice when removing it from the vehicle and working on it in a vice, only to dislodge it when reapplying to the vehicle.

Thanks ZMA, yeah it's tricky resetting it but you can feel when it's connected properly (off of the car anyway).

I've had it disconnected from the diff when attempting it on the car as I think it's completely necessary or the angle would be off. I think I'll give it another try in-situ tomorrow; just a question of patience and lots of attempts I think.

Well you were right Zma, I tried it a few times the next day and in the end I reluctantly removed the dust-boot and you were completely right.

There was a metal ring-like collar which sat at the first 5-10 mm of the spline of the axle. I needed to be sure of the position and drive it back in. I'd say it must've been about 40-50 mm in the end.

Wasn't that big of a deal to remove the dust-boot in the end.

Thanks for the advice again.