Parking Charge Notices (Scotland Only)

-G-

So this happened today

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-tayside-central-39478203

I have no idea whether this counts as a legal precedent or not, but it's not exactly a welcome development insofar as "fair" parking charges in Scotland apply.

My legal understanding is that because PoFA doesn't exist in Scotland, the PCN can only be issued to the motorist, not the keeper of the vehicle. i.e. Keeper Liability - any letter sent out always makes the assumption that the keeper was driving the car and relies on an admission of guilt or a reply with who was driving. (which you shouldn't do)

It looks as though this lassie completely messed up and misunderstood the term of "legally enforceable" to mean that they can't touch her regardless of what she does. She appears to have been in dialogue with the company over a permit to use the car-park, so it's patently obvious who the keeper & driver were in this case.

Many people I know ignore these types of Parking Charge as they are fundamentally just an extortion racket & while I believe the vast majority of people could simply use the "PoFA / Keeper liability" loophole to say they weren't driving a PCN'd car at the time it was ticketted - I fully expect the PCN Parasites to start citing this case as a threat to prosecution, just like they did with the Beavis ruling.