Mishimoto vs OEM radiator fans which is better?

cob1980

Try refurbishing first. Once you split the motor it is quite easy. There should be a post covering how to do it. Use search and it should come up. :thumbs:

So OEM better? Yep found the video ta, don't mind the refurb bit it's removing the fans I'm not looking forward to. Is there a way to test them, should they both spin up with the air con on? Cheers.

Just found this for info:

Start the car with a/c off = No fans

Start the car with a/c on = Passenger side fan on

Car running at idle and up to operating temps (190 something) = Passenger fan will cycle on and off to cool

Car running at idle and exceeding operating temps (Around 208) = Drivers side will turn on to assist the other fan

Anytime the a/c is turned on the passenger side fan will come on for the a/c condenser.

Took the fans out, dismantled the motors, none of the brushes were touching the commutator. Sorted out, reassembled, I think they are working but they are smoking a lot because I used WD40 and grease.

Got a service booked next week at the Cougar Store so I will get them to test properly but ordered a Mishimoto fan shroud just in case.

Edited by cob1980

OEM fans are better than the Mishimotos - better air flow and a lot quieter. But a new set of Mishimotos is a lot cheaper than a new set of OEMs. The air flow from the mishimotos is still fine for most use though.

I have Mishimotos but wish I hadn't as IMO it ruins the sound of the car.

Hi Cob1980,

I've just been through this saga myself, very helpful videos on youtube.

Both of my fans are now working well with ac on; just need to get the car up to temp to test the cooling element.

Hello... ha saga...yes... sadly looks like the A/C one is not working too well still perhaps I didn't do a good enough job although I did notice the brushes were a lot more worn than the other.

OEM fans are better than the Mishimotos - better air flow and a lot quieter. But a new set of Mishimotos is a lot cheaper than a new set of OEMs. The air flow from the mishimotos is still fine for most use though.

I have Mishimotos but wish I hadn't as IMO it ruins the sound of the car.

Hmm... well looks like I have to have the Mishimotos fitted now as mentioned above the A/C doesn't seem reliable and I don't want it to overheat again. I guess at least one plus point is that if you can hear them you know they are working. I notice you can buy different fans to fit the Mishimoto shroud, might be worth swapping out the A/C one for a quieter one perhaps?