Engine struggling/stalling at idle - no fault codes

evest

Hello all,

I've read though a few threads with similar problems but can't pin this down and want to investigate further before throwing new parts at it. Anybody had/seen the same issue?

Car:

350Z DE '03 plate, 147K miles

Problem:

Car starts (cold) and goes to normal revs but then almost immediately the revs dip and bounce around at low level. After a 5 seconds or so, the engine revs go back up to the correct level (albeit with very small fluctuations). After another 10 seconds or so, it drops back to low levels, struggles and eventually stalls. Even if I open the throttle to increase revs, the response is not instant but it will then start to raise the revs to the level I determine. However, when releasing the throttle the revs will drop back to idle setting briefly before dying away again and stalling the engine.

I've also had the engine cut out at low revs when coming to a normal stop. Otherwise drives normally. No EML or fault codes stored.

Recent work:

New oil sump fitted (by me) with top up of correct oil. Coolant changed. Uprev about 6 months ago.

Other things:

Stock '06 airbox fitted with clean filter.

MAF looks clean.

Throttle body cleaned out a couple of months ago.

Battery is fine and holding standard charge.

Fluids all seem fine.

Running Shell V-power, plenty of fuel in tank (possibly bad batch of fuel? But seems unlikely)

Spark plugs changed about 5000 miles ago (I haven't checked them recently but no reason to suspect they're faulty).

I had an O2 sensor issue a while back, but cleaned the sensor and have no further problems or fault codes since.

Not sure whether this is a fuelling issue or sensor related. I've had the same issue before but it has usually gone away after a day or two and not repeated for several weeks.

Any help much appreciated!

Edited by evest

Thanks davey_83. I've done as you suggested and it seems to have solved my problem - now idling at 1200ish cold, and no cut out at roundabouts either, so good man!

I feel a little foolish for having ruled this out but at least the problem is solved. :blush: Will keep close eye on it over the next few weeks anyhow.

Cheers bud :thumbs: