Strange Noise at idle........

chuds1

Hi All

I have a 2003 UK 350Z. I have a problem with a strange noise at idle.

I can only hear the noise when i am sitting the car.

The noise sounds like it is coming from the engine, its a flapping noise.

It is most noticable at idle, on my car about 700rpm and about 20psi on the gauge, flap flap, flap, flap, flap.......

The noise is consistent with rpm, as i slowly rev the engine the flapping speeds up.

It doesn't sound like a metalic sound more of a flap......sorry its difficult to describe.

When i open the bonnet i can't hear the noise everything sounds good, can only hear it when I'm sitting in the car.

I'm a bit concerned where the noise is coming from.

Has anyone come across this problem before if so i would greatly appreciate your help.

Thanks for your help.

Thank everyone to your fast responce.

Thanks Gixxeruk for the info you attached.

I've been out this morning to investigate the fuel damper.

Am i right in saying there are two fuel dampers.

I can see one when standing at the front of the engine on the left hand side, and the other is behind the engine.

Going by the drawing it looks like it should be the one behind the engine.

I'm not sure I'm looking at the right one because on my car the fuel damper behind the engine doesn't have a rubber hose coming off of it like in the drawing.

Sorry to be a pest but which one am i supposed to be looking at?

Also the noise (flapping, thumping) inside the car is quite loud, would the fuel damper cause a noise this loud inside the car.

Thanks very much for your help its much appreciated.

Mine has a noticable clutch noise at idle that dissapears when driving or pedal depressed. Seem to remember a post about some elements of the clutch plate wearing unevenly? dunno...

Could it be something like a back plate on the clutch becoming loose? Keen to hear what folks think as I think I have a less severe case of the same thing!

Considering an uprated clutch and flywheel in the near future anyhow!

Thanks - that'll be it! Its not too bad [esp as i only use my Zed at weekends now :mad: ] but in heavy traffic it does sound rubbish.

Will a new clutch solve the problem or is a thrust bearing an additional fix?

the thrust bearing is usually replaced at the same time as the clutch as its only a cheap part, gearbox has to come off to do either, so its best to do it all as the £££ go into the labour more than the parts :thumbs:

its sits on the arm that actuates the clutch

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...
Problem solved.

Sourced two new fuel dampers for Courtesy parts Nissan in Houston Texas(much cheapness). Fitted dampers, noise gone. Superb. :yahoo:

Nice result :thumbs: But just one thing did you walk to Texas and back only you posted this fault up months ago :wacko::lol: