350z drivers airbag module - rough cost?

colesl4w

Hi all,

Has anyone needed to get their drivers airbag module (in the steering wheel) replaced? Mine is throwing an error, initially thought it was the spiral cable but that has not fixed it. Just wondering if anyone knew off hand a rough cost.

Thanks,

J

Edited by colesl4w

If you had the error before you changed the clock spring, and you haven't either reset the ecu yourself (not a simple reset, a clearing reset, I'm not actually sure to what extent you can do this in the Zed yet, maybe someone else will know more) or asked Nissan to do it, it is completely normal that the light is still on. Once the light comes on, no matter if the system is later repaired, the light does not EVER go off until turned off by special method (I believe this is a security feature to prevent mere mortals from hiding the fact that the airbags have been deployed).

If the airbag itself is ok, and the clock spring is definitely now ok, your airbag system is working and will deploy in an accident, even with the light flashing. The light is just the ecu error code, which is a special hard type of error code that needs a special reset. I'm sorry I can't help with details for a diy, but I felt it important to point out that changing the clock spring is only half the job. I know this becuase I also have a fully functioning airbag system, but still a flashing light, and not currently a priority to reset, since I'll be visiting Nissan for a service soon anyway, I will ask them then.

Good luck.

P.S. In the (unlikely) event that the airbag does have a problem, you'll be looking at around 40 quid for a second hand replacement, PM ZMANALEX or Jon@emperor, or dive into ebay.

Edited by Aashenfox

Thanks for the very detailed reply! Unfortunately I have had a Nissan mechanic (who does homers) reset the system with the proper Nissan diagnostics machine - and the error has come back after 250 miles. Interestingly it came on just after I drove over a bumpy cobblestone area. £40 for a second hand replacement unit is not bad at all!

OK, you seem like you're on top of it. Just type 350z drivers airbag in ebay and you'll get loads, or support one of our excellent breaker traders who will surely have it in stock and give you an even better price!

I've dealt with both Jon@Emperor and ZMANALEX on this forum for second hand spares, both are excellent, items always exactly as described at the best prices.

P.S. (Again) I believe (important clarification there, as I was told this by someone who may or may not have known what he was talking about) that the impact sensor in the bumper can play up, causing this issue. It was suggested that this may be the issue with mine, since it's very rare for an airbag to fail for no reason. I mention it since you mention that it came back on while driving over cobbles.

Edited by Aashenfox

(Again) I believe (important clarification there, as I was told this by someone who may or may not have known what he was talking about) that the impact sensor in the bumper can play up, causing this issue. It was suggested that this may be the issue with mine, since it's very rare for an airbag to fail for no reason. I mention it since you mention that it came back on while driving over cobbles.

Thanks again for more great suggestions. The impact sensor is an interesting one - I've had an aftermarket bumper fitted and it has been taken off and put back on a fair few times. i wonder if that could have upset something!

Thanks!

Perhaps. In my case, the previous owner claims that the airbag light came on for no reason after a particularly deep dip in the road caused a significant bumper strike (but not enough to damage the bumper itself). I have since been able to verify as hogswash, 90% of the things he told me about the car, so as I say, we have to take it with a pinch, but when the Nissan dude who may or may not have been in the seller's pocket (that's what it's like over here) said that it could be bumper sensor related, I basically decided not to rule it out yet. As I say, my car's going to have to pay an official visit soon, it was in a horribly abused (sic: chavved up, cut springs, cut buckets, 19" China made 10 ton alloys, chrome lexus style taillights, nothing in the interior working (not even the heater controls or the gauge cluster,) etc) condition. I've fixed almost everything now, but haven't done a service yet. So I'll wait til then to find out what's what with the airbag light. I'll do my best to remember to report back, although I'm sure you will have solved your issue by then. :) Glad I could at least provide some ideas. :)

Edited by Aashenfox
  • Like 1