TOM TOM satnav

Nick U

Does anyone have a picture or two of thier TOM TOM in the centre cubby hole?

Just wanted to see what it looks like.

Can you close the lid down with the unit in there?

Do you wire it into the car (cant stand wires poking out anywhere), or is it battery operated?

I know, im bored at home!!!! :yawn:

battery is long enough so you don't need t put the cable in for shortish journeys. You can close the lid. not if you have the wire attached to it though. Wire goes into the fag lighter. People have run the wire behind the centre console e and cut a hole through the rubber mat into the cubby.

I left it as it is since i move it from car to car :)

No pic as I'm in snowy Scotland and the Z is @ home :bleh:

Thats good. Cheers for that.

I might look at wiring it in with the battery and hiding a switch away somewhere in the car as I would just leave it in there I think!

Still I think the TOM TOM will be going on my list of things to buy now. :D

And given they are just launching the x10 series, which is larger and probably wont fit in the cubbyhole, if you wait a few weeks you should get a good price on a 500 or 700. The 700 has already come down 50 quid in the last 6 weeks!

(Which is what I'm doing!!)

JohnK

Excellent bit of kit when you don't know quite where your destination is. And more importantly, endless amounts of fun seeing how irate you can get the lady giving directions by ignoring her commands... Practice for the future... ;)

I've succumbed to a 700 - delivery tomorrow. :p

It cost £325 plus carriage. :D

I'll let you know how it goes.... :wacko:

Good choice, great piece of kit. I've started to add in the POI co-ordinates for Nissan Dealers, I've just done the ones around London & Essex, got about 20 on there so far. Let me know if this is of interest and I'll forward you the file.

Grant

Good choice, great piece of kit. I've started to add in the POI co-ordinates for Nissan Dealers, I've just done the ones around London & Essex, got about 20 on there so far. Let me know if this is of interest and I'll forward you the file.

Grant

Why not follow the instructions here and publish your POI so all interested parties can download it :thumbs:

http://www.tomtom.com/support/ce/support/nav_poi.php

One day of use and I thought I'd report back ....

One round trip so far, the 35 miles cros-country to one of my customers.

Very easy to use. Chose Shortest Route and then drove my usual route, noting where the differences were (I know all the traffic hotspots to ignore and enjoy the drive). The only major hiccup was the A road closure close to home which confused it for quite a while.

Coming back, I put in a Via point and once on my way our routes were very similar.

Only just fits in the dash cubbyhole (height is tight!).

Thought I might dislike the 3D landscape mapping (I'm a great fan of the (2D) Ordnance Survey maps from my days of rally navigating) but I found the display both accurate and easy to follow.

So far: 9 out of 10 - but I expect I'll get nit-picky as time progresses.

Now to get all those Tesco 99RON filling stations in as Points Of Interest!

Cheers,

JohnK

wait till you go to the continent for a summer jaunt and start getting the shell v-power 100 octane garages on there too!

i didn't think it would make much of a difference but i put whole tank loads through my 306 XSi and the gains were notable on the autobahn if nowhere else!

• 3 weeks later...

When I'm using my TTG it bluetooth's to my phone and that's great cos Texts appear on the TTG screen.

However, when I get a call I'd sort of assumed it would be a Hands-Free type alternative, but when I press answer although I can clearly hear the caller throught the TTG loudspeaker, they cant hear me!

So, is there a mic. in the TTG or am I missing part of the jigsaw?

Thnx

Guys :bangin: , you obviously didn't lread the manual / look at all the bits in the box..or maybe didn't get them. When you plug the phone in to the mount for the cradle, the Mics in that. So basically if you put the Tom Tom in the cubby you can't fit the base plate, hence no mike.

I have the base TomTom and have it wired into the cig lighter. I removed the center console and cut a hole in the cubby hole to feed the wire ( cig lighter) down the back of the stereo.

Then at the base of the console i have hidden a 4 way cig lighter which also powers an origin B2 ( also a stealth install )

I have the base TomTom and have it wired into the cig lighter. I removed the center console and cut a hole in the cubby hole to feed the wire ( cig lighter) down the back of the stereo.

Then at the base of the console i have hidden a 4 way cig lighter which also powers an origin B2 ( also a stealth install )

:worthless:

• 3 weeks later...
Guys :bangin: , you obviously didn't lread the manual / look at all the bits in the box..or maybe didn't get them. When you plug the phone in to the mount for the cradle, the Mics in that. So basically if you put the Tom Tom in the cubby you can't fit the base plate, hence no mike.

:surrender: