Samsung Gear S3 Smartwatch review (3500 words, may want to put the kettle on)

Aashenfox

I need a new fitness tracker as i smashed my Fitbit Charge HR over xmas. Was toying with finding the extra spondoolies and going for the S3.

Don't suppose you know if the watch by itself can record a Strava run/cycle?

I'm sorry mate, I'm not familiar with the term but the capabilities of s health (the app which will track your activities) should be well documented online somewhere, or there may be a more advanced app for tizen (I hear some people laughing, but you never know ;)).

Cheers... why is it funny though? Have I missed something?!?!

Great review by the way, much appreciated :D

I need a new fitness tracker as i smashed my Fitbit Charge HR over xmas. Was toying with finding the extra spondoolies and going for the S3.

Don't suppose you know if the watch by itself can record a Strava run/cycle?

There may well be a Strava app for the S3. I use runkeeper and I know there isnt an app for the S3 yet (there is for the S2 however), but S Health can be linked to runkeeper (and everything else) so it should be able to update it. S Health on the S3 is actually very good. It automatically knows what exercise you are doing. I go for a 3 mile walk most lunchtimes and the watch automatically knows when im walking, monitors my progress, tells me my speed etc then logs it in the S Health log. The same with cycling... you dont even have to tell it. It knows you going for a cycle ride, knows speed, how long, how many calories you have burnt, even your route via the gps. According to S Health, last week I was in the top 5% of all S Health users for my number of steps.

Appears Strava have no plans to support Gear wearables natively. Apparently you can get it to upload to Strava by first syncing to S-Health... which is disappointing as I really wanted to justify buying the S3.

Congrats on your steps though B)

Cheers... why is it funny though? Have I missed something?!?!

Great review by the way, much appreciated :D

No, you didn't miss anything, the laughing would have been from those in the know, because Tizen has a woefully poor selection of apps currently. Many many things are claimed to be coming, including major fitness apps, but right now it's pretty dire. Thankfully the biggest areas are covered adequately, but there are gaps. Hopefully Samsung will fill them soon and it would be nice to see something that makes you go 'wow, that's innovative and clever use of the tech', such as the app that lets you use your phone as a remote camera viewed from your watch that Dan referred to, that's pretty trick, more like that please!

Thanks and you're most welcome, glad to share.

It does look very nice and I'm a bit of a watch chap and I do own a Gear 2 and whilst the functionality is ok , for some reason the screen shattered about 3 months after i bought it , no idea how and I have never broken a watch glass before and am used to wearing expensive ones , trying to get the screen replaced was hopeless , couldnt find anyone in Samsung that would commit to doing it , eventually bought the parts myself and got a mate to have a go and he sorted it , for that reason I wont consider another Samsung watch

Gorilla glass or whatever will never compare to the sapphire crystal glass of premium watch brands, which is all but bulletproof. These watches are no more durable than your phone screen, I believe, which is why I mentioned in the review that my main fear is wrecking it one day. I'm very careful with my phones and tablets and such, always have been, keep them in like-new condition, but my TAG has taken some hits I'm sure the S3 wouldn't survive, so I can't help thinking it's just a matter of time. Maybe I can focus enough to be more careful over the long term, I guess we'll see.

Still, it's curious that you couldn't just take it to samsung and get it repaired, I don't blame you for being pi**ed about that, I will be if it happens to me. I wish I could give you a more meaningful comparison to the S2 but I never owned one.

• Like 1