Autotensioner - does it exist?

OliverB

Hi all,

I've just been told the squealing on my belts is due to needing a new 'auto-tensioner'. I've got a Rev-Up VQDE. The belts are new as of mid-July and are in good condition.

Squealing occurs when cold (i.e. in the morning and after work at <4 degrees) and lasts for up to 15 seconds, usually less. The volts on the gauge show around 13 on start-up and then climbs to 15 by the time the noise stops). Activating the folding mirrors, wipers or headlights before the gauge shows 15 volts causes the volts to drop again and the lights/mirrors won't activate properly.

I've asked a few of my fellow 350 owners if they know anything about auto-tensioners and they have drawn a blank. A cursory Google search hasn't led me to any new auto-tensioners either (I like to check prices). The mechanic is self-employed and has been a friend of the family for many years, looking after the cars and has generally been very good in the past. I wouldn't like to think he's having me on, but I can't think what else the problem could be other than a tensioner (given the behaviour of the belts and the source of the noise).

Can anyone shed any light on this? Could this part have another name perhaps, or am I just being had?