Goodyear Eagle F1 tyres

JoshC

Time for a new set of tyres on my fronts, rears still have plenty left but at the moment all 4 tyres at Michelin Pilot Super Sports.

Seen the Eagle F1's reccomended on here a few times, can see there are a few types of them (assymetric,2,3 etc). Can anyone tell me which is the preferable or reccomended type and will I notice much difference in perfromace and longevity compared to the MPSS'?

Also, looking at some of the discount places online, I've heard it's worth checking the tyre age, can anyone tell me how to do that?

Edited by JoshC

They're a decent tyre, and in the dry they're the equal of the MPSS. However, in the wet they have nowhere close to the same level of grip, although you do get feedback to let you know this. Currently got them on our Impreza, personally I can't wait until they're shot so I can get some RE070s back on it. Some people love them though, but personally I've been far less than impressed. Better than FK452 et al though.

In terms of age, check the sidewall for this:

IMAG0103.jpg

The bit on the right is what you're after, tells you the week and year the tyre was made. Here, it's showing week 9 of 2007.

Time for a new set of tyres on my fronts, rears still have plenty left but at the moment all 4 tyres at Michelin Pilot Super Sports.

Seen the Eagle F1's reccomended on here a few times, can see there are a few types of them (assymetric,2,3 etc). Can anyone tell me which is the preferable or reccomended type and will I notice much difference in perfromace and longevity compared to the MPSS'?

Also, looking at some of the discount places online, I've heard it's worth checking the tyre age, can anyone tell me how to do that?

as far as I know the asy 2 f1's is the preferred tyre for grip over the newer ones due to a softer sidewall. check out the Yoko v105s very similar grip but better wet traction.

They're a decent tyre, and in the dry they're the equal of the MPSS. However, in the wet they have nowhere close to the same level of grip, although you do get feedback to let you know this. Currently got them on our Impreza, personally I can't wait until they're shot so I can get some RE070s back on it. Some people love them though, but personally I've been far less than impressed. Better than FK452 et al though.

In terms of age, check the sidewall for this:

The bit on the right is what you're after, tells you the week and year the tyre was made. Here, it's showing week 9 of 2007.

Cheers mate, very informative and helpful as always! :thumbs: Would you reccomend the Bridgestone RE070s for the 370 then?

as far as I know the asy 2 f1's is the preferred tyre for grip over the newer ones due to a softer sidewall. check out the Yoko v105s very similar grip but better wet traction.

Cheers bud, will take a look at both those options then! :)

• Like 1

Cheers mate, very informative and helpful as always! :thumbs: Would you reccomend the Bridgestone RE070s for the 370 then?

Sadly they're Subaru specific sizes, and a bit hardcore if I'm honest :lol:

At Eagle F1 prices, I'd still get the MPSS over them. Or maybe try the MPS4?

Sadly they're Subaru specific sizes, and a bit hardcore if I'm honest :lol:

At Eagle F1 prices, I'd still get the MPSS over them. Or maybe try the MPS4?

Ah I see, was wondering why I could only find the RE050s! :lol:

Can't find the MPS4 in 245/40/19 but can see some good prices on the MPS3?

One more question, are there any other sizes that wpould be suitable for the fronts? 245/40/19 is standard but just wondeing if 245/35/19 or 235/40/19' might do the tick? I don't mind he look of a small amount os stretch or smaller tyre wall but just wondering if it's somethin you wouldn't reccomend?

You might be able to tell I'm trying to save as much money as possible by looking at all options :lol:

others will disagree but i'd see no problem in running a 235/40/19 front. you'll be fractionally more understeer and the rear wheels might be allowed fractionally more slip before the tcs cuts in, but I doubt anyone other than a professional vehicle dynamics expert would notice.

I wouldn't drop to a 35 profile though, unless you do the same to the rear, and also lower the car to correct for the increased arch gap.

others will disagree but i'd see no problem in running a 235/40/19 front. you'll be fractionally more understeer and the rear wheels might be allowed fractionally more slip before the tcs cuts in, but I doubt anyone other than a professional vehicle dynamics expert would notice.

I wouldn't drop to a 35 profile though, unless you do the same to the rear, and also lower the car to correct for the increased arch gap.

Okay great cheers mate, will have a look at 235/40/19 as an option as well then. the car is already lowered so don't think arch gap would be an issue with the lower profile but would mismtach with the rears like you say. Also, I'm never entirely sure how the dimensions of the sidewalls work but I would guess the front would sit ever so slightly lower on a lower profile and the front scrapes more than enough just on uneven bits of raod already :lol:

Edited by JoshC

Sidewall number is a percentage of the width, so for example a 200/50/18 would have a sidewall 100mm tall and a tyre 400/50/18 would have a sidewall 200mm tall (made up sizes, obviously!).

Cheers for clearing that up! Always used to think that it was just a straightforward consistent measurementof the sidewall but read somewhere recenelty thatit was dependent on the width just wasn't exactly sure! Confusing stuff this tyre business! :lol: