stiffening up my ride

FitmentJunkie

been doing a bit of research the past week into coilovers as i want to run the car quite low i know i need to get it pretty stiff.

still umming and arring over a couple of brands but am curious about polybushing. my last jap car ran tein coilovers but i had a total of 48 polybushes in my suspenion (the car was dual wishbone)

so im just curious what sort of measures people on here have gone to to get a nice rock solid ride.

and if you know, what you have, what sort of spring rates are people running?

im not too fussed about handling tbh, thats not really why i have a 350z

but ok, so uprating the arbs, the downside to this may be that i presume they may hang lower to the ground? but you would choose that route over poly bushing any components?

at the moment hsd are winning the coilover race as they can offer 18kg front and 16kg rear with dampers valved to suit of course.

Arbs sit no lower than std, poly bushing will just tigthen up the feel so if your not worried about handling I wouldnt bother, having said that, if your slamming it to the ground, it may be wise as you may beat the sh*t out of the std bushes.

Good luck.

If you just want low, then get air. At least you'll keep some kind of comfort when driving the bloody thing.

Making the suspension as stiff as possible won't do anything to make the car lower. What are you actually trying to achieve here? It sounds like you just want to park it up and let people stare at it, in which case chucking money at bushes and ARBs is a waste of cash.

I wouldn't fit air to a Jap car.

I have a German car specifically for comfort and speed.

The 350 is a toy that will be driven to shows and other small events but that's about it.

Stiffness won't make it low no, but it's going to be lowered to the point the arches will sit against the tyres so I need it to not run, hence the required Stiffness:)

My legnum I had maybe 3mm clearance between arch and tyre, I could wedge a credit card between the two and it would stay there, and it didn't rub while driving, so I'm after the same thing here

That's completely self-defeating.

Air is just for lows, and if the car is about looks and lows only then surely you achieve that in the quickest and easiest way possible. Saying you wouldn't fit air to a Jap car is bonkers :lol: Fit air, drive to show, park it up, lower it, drive it home when done. Put your money into other areas rather than faffing around with stuff no-one cares about. Having a car as stiff as you're talking about is going to place all sorts of stress on the chassis, and possibly cause you more issues down the line. You might as well just go to BC or whoever will do you custom spring rates and simply ask them for the stiffest springs they can possibly make. Who cares what others have used? You're trying to drive any comfort or roadholding from the car, so may as well do a proper job. Or get a bunch of the PDI blocks from OEM and fit them into standard springs to stop them moving :lol:

I get that I'm hardly the hippest cool cat when it comes to looking standing by your car rather than driving your car, but this thread has me all kind of puzzled.

To me fitting air is the easy cheap way out and I will get no satisfaction from it whereas custom suspension and arms etc that I have put my own thought and graft into, that's what I'm here for.

I modify for fun not for performance or handling

I was asking about spring rates to get first hand feedback and how solid they would be at certain rates.

I'm asking about polybushing and arms so I can be prepared prior to slamming the car. Why slam it down and break something when that can be avoided by asking for advice

You want zero give in the suspension. To me, the obvious thing then is simply to fit the stiffest thing a manufacturer will make: Doesn't matter what anyone else has used, you're still going to need something miles stiffer and if you're paying for custom then just go to the nth degree.

I don't like air either, but I accept at least it leaves the car driveable (and I don't just mean hooning, I mean pootling on a public road). How can you get any satisfaction from essentially ruining a car? Because that's what you're talking about. It takes a certain level of skill and nous to get a car that looks awesome as well as handles: It takes none to do one or the other. Might as well weld everything up and lift it off the back of a low loader.

For the minimal mileage I do, I'm quite happy to have terrible handling. I live quite central in the country so no show is more than 2 hours from me. So I'm all good.

But without this thread, I wouldn't have know that the uprated sway bars don't sit any lower, and that polybushing would have little affect because on my other car it was completely opposite

I don't see why a car needs to handle well to travel at 30-50mph in a manageable fashion and at 70mph in a straight line for motorway use. This car will never go on track. And it will spend most it's time parked under a tree outside my house, where I will go out and take things apart for a laugh on it.

We all use our cars for different things and as I said I have a pretty nippy run about. This is just a @*!#'s and giggles toy, and the suspension is only the first thing I'm going to ruin :)

But coilovers and arbs seems a good shout to begin with, and bushes as and when if it isn't stiff enough, I'll look into bushing kits tho as I will also be changing the camber arms etc and if it seems like I'm changing everything that would be bushed, I'd be silly to not just bush it.

^^ scratch that, a quick Google reveals that no, polybushing camber arms etc on this car is not a good idea as they require movement across 2 axis. But perhaps the subframe kit would be worth a pop.

I notice whiteline offer a bushings kit for there anti roll bar? Worthwhile?

That poor zed!!

Reminds me of a miserable caged circus animal, dumped under a tree for most of its life with restricted movement.

Only to be let out now and again for public viewing and humiliation, when all it yearns for really, is what it was designed for......

THE OPEN ROAD!

If you just want to slam it, make etc of coil overs is immaterial, as it sound like its going to be so low anything else wont matter, and normally you will need to address the camber and toe on all wheels, but it also sounds like your quite happy to run outrageous camber anyway, and wont mind replacing tyres on a regular basis, so that wont be an issue.

I would just go for a set of coil overs that will get you the ride hight you desire, and increase the spring rate, to stop bottoming out, as you dont mind the ride there is nothing you really need to do as the car will handle appealingly anyway, and you unlikely to be able to drive at more than 50 mph anyway.