Throttle Body Clean

Dicky

Apologies...Posting quite a bit lately having just bought a 370 in need of some TLC.

Anyone done this on the 370 yet. Is it more or less the same as the 350 ref disconnection of battery , cleaning and calibration procedures.

If you disconnect tha battery is it still necessary to do the cals?

When you disconnect the battery does it affect any other car systems. On my 350 all you lost were radio stations.

Unless you have an issue I would leave the TBs alone.

Got a cruise control issue Alex, mentioned in another post. On the straight at 30 mph, no issues. Going down hill at 30 mph in 3rd or 4th again no issues. BUT when coming out of the down hill and straight into a hill the car slows up and you can see the speedo drop from 30 to about 25 and only then does it seem to wake up and apply power to get back up to 30.

Looking at the workshop manual either the road speed signal to the system (derived from the ABS system) is sluggish for some reason, or the ECU is sluggish (unlikely) or the ECU is sending an increase speed request to the throttle body motor and if it's sluggish it could be the cause. Not sure though but thought it's a good easy staring point.

Not sure if the ECU uses only one throttle body controller in cruise control mode or both to maintain requested speed.?

If you are planning to clean the throttle bodies, do not move the butterflys until you have disconnected the throttle bodies, the battery and the ECU.

Even with these disconnected I have heard reports of ECUs still getting corrupted so be warned.

• Like 1

BUGGAR Alex, if I wasn't worried before I am now! Thanks for the warning though.

Do you know if the Consult lll gear held by the dealers can determine accurately if the throttle valve motors and feedback position sensors are in full working order ?

If so I'll put it in to have them checked. The problem is the diagnostic gear is only as good as the tech using it!

• 2 weeks later...

Thought I would post this just to complete my findings. Apparently the 370 valuable valve engines don't actually use the Throttle valve to control air intake to the cyclinder (as Richf pointed out in my recent post about Cruise a Controls) this is achieved by varying the intake valve open/close timing...see link.

http://www.nissan-global.com/EN/DOCUMENT/PDF/IREVENT/PRESEN/2007/070713VVEL-e.pdf

Apparently the throttle valve remains fully open when the engine is running so it would seem there's no need to clean them. They're only used as a back up, or so I understand. UNLESS SOMEONE KNOWS MORE?