Engine malfunction light

Taw527

I have read the forums about this issue but nothing covers my issue. The EML light (57 reg roadster) has come on frequently and having it checked at an independent garage each time the only options to me is spend £250 on replacing the lambda sensor or £750 on a new catalytic converter. They are not sure which it is. Has anyone else come cross this problem and offer some advice?

Thanks

Ok,you probably won't like my answer very much but here goes,the very best diagnostic equipment in land is let's say misleading.All engine sensors are in what is called a "closed loop" system and are all feeding information back to the E.C.U electronic control unit to regulate the emissions.Closed loop system means all the sensors are linked to each other, they all compensate to a certain degree if another sensor becomes faulty and there lies your problem is it just a faulty sensor?or a faulty cat?or has another sensor failed causing the emissions to be out and this is what is putting the light on.The garage i feel have advised you as best as I feel they can because nobody can say 100% it's this or that.Personally if the engine is running ok,no misfire/lack of power etc I would take an educated guess at it being a faulty sensor.Sorry if that doesn't help much but there is no diagnostic system that will tell you it definitely one way or the other.

I have read the forums about this issue but nothing covers my issue. The EML light (57 reg roadster) has come on frequently and having it checked at an independent garage each time the only options to me is spend £250 on replacing the lambda sensor or £750 on a new catalytic converter. They are not sure which it is. Has anyone else come cross this problem and offer some advice?

Thanks

Can you tell us the code they are reading? it sounds like its the cat monitor sensor....or the cat, however the cat monitor (lambda) sensor uses a different scale to the main lamda's, so unless you can find the exact part number and get a cheap replacement if available, it will be a Nissan only part.