brake fluid

wilo

i have a bottle of motul 660 but need another bottle and all the others on ebay uk have a different art number .

mine says 101667 but all the others say 101666 ...does it make a difference or can they be mixed ? pics to follow of my bottle

I've always just used halfords dot 5 race fluid? dunno if that helps you though lol

yea its just i have a bottle left over from service thats just been done so wanted a match rather than buying two new bottles of a different brand

I've always just used halfords dot 5 race fluid? dunno if that helps you though lol

I hope that's a typo... DOT 5 is silicone based and not for our cars at all!!! Surely you mean DOT 4 or 5.1?

If you used DOT 5, and the entire brake system wasn't brand new (brand new lines, brand new cylinder, brand new calipers, etc, ANYWHERE the fluid went), then you have contaminated your DOT 5 with glycol from the previous DOT 3, 4 or 5.1 that was no doubt used before. DOT 5 will also damage your brake cylinder as it does not lubricate (cylinders designed for DOT 5 have their own lube), but more than that, silicone based fluid is not recommended at all for cars with ABS, though I don't know why.

If it wasn't a typo and you really do have DOT 5 in your car, you're going to need to change or at least thoroughly flush every single part that brake fluid has gone through.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DOT_5

Edited by Aashenfox