More brake pedal travel after putting shims on back of pads

mattfinch

Evening all,

Iv been having a little bit of brake squeal so bought some brake pad shims to stick on the back of the pad. I took the pads out and gave everything a good brushing to get dust out. I also used a metel brush and gave the front of the pad a quick scrub. (Dont know if that is a good thing to do or not) Put the shims on the back of the same pads i took out and put some copper grease on the back and put it all back together how it was. When I done this I pushed the caliper pistons back in the caliper with the fluid lid off.

Got in the car and pumpped the pedal a few times and it was solid as a rock. Started her and went for a drive. When i apply the brake i have quite a bit of travel before the brakes seem to do anything. If i pump pedal after that brakes and solid and good.

Again pull away go to brake and lots of travel again. Has something gone wrong some where or is it a case of these shims need to settle/bed in.

Sorry for long read.

Thanks

could have disrupted the piston seal when pushing the pistons back in which will cause air to get into the system.

take the calipers off again and make sure no fluid is leaking from the piston seals. this will give the same effect

Edited by ryanlang

Thanks all. Would by any chance getting some copper grease on the dics or inside of the pad cause this. Not saying I have but there is a chance when sliding the pads back in?

Only if you applied the copper grease with a ladle.

Dont have one of them in my tool collection. Might have to get one for next time :) haha