Test pipes and exhaust for HR track car

GodISmE

Guys, I was told that it's best to just remove the cats and leave the stock exhaust in because the aftermarket ones eat up a few HP and even more tourque. True?

Even if they do, the exhaust in HR weighs a lot and replacing it with a single 3'' cat-back would probably more than compensate for it. True?

I was also told that test pipes should be resonated as I would hate the sound without it - that I know for a fact now but what is the difference between test pipes with built-in resonators...

https://www.torqen.u...8-370z-res.html

... and the ones with external tubes?

https://www.torqen.u...pes-md-001.html

My HR is a track car so my priorities are:

1) power

2) less weight

3) bassy sound

What do you recommend?

Edited by GodISmE

You'll need to run cats and a relatively stock exhaust, as otherwise you won't be getting anywhere near a track I'm afraid. It'll be just too loud.

Personally I'd go with some quality hi-flow cats (Berks et al) or just run the stock ones, and then probably get a custom exhaust made to enable tunable baffles to be fitted for ease on track. Strict limits means you can add more easily, on a noisy day you can then happily remove if you want.

As a track-only car, you really shouldn't be concerned about tone or how loud it is at all: Your responsibility should be to keep the noise as low as possible to stop NIMBYs complaining and getting tracks closed/restricted.

It's not a track-only car yet. I'll be driving it daily for a year or two before I get something else for daily driving.

I don't want it to be louder than 96 dB and mufflers can take care of that even if cats are removed.

I don't get why I should not be concerned about the tone even if it's a race car - as long as the power&tourque are maxed out and weight is reduced, a nice bassy sound would be great!

Anyway, what should be my detailed specs for a custom built full exhaust from the headers to the tips - keeping my 3 priorities in mind?

Edited by GodISmE

Because any effort you put into the tone is wasted, and better spent on making it go faster. If it sounds great then wonderful, but keeping it quiet is more important unless you're going racing. Track days are already getting restricted by too much noise, no need to help the NIMBYs out and do their jobs for them.

96dB is a reasonable target, you'll probably get that with just dropping a Cobra or Scorpion exhaust on I reckon. Removing the cats will make it A LOT louder, and it'll also sound raspy and horrid. As it's not going to be a track car at all for another year at least, I'd stick to something like that. Spend the extra on a set of R888Rs for the track :)

It's not a track-only car yet. I'll be driving it daily for a year or two before I get something else for daily driving.

I don't want it to be louder than 96 dB and mufflers can take care of that even if cats are removed.

I don't get why I should not be concerned about the tone even if it's a race car - as long as the power&tourque are maxed out and weight is reduced, a nice bassy sound would be great!

Anyway, what should be my detailed specs for a custom built full exhaust from the headers to the tips - keeping my 3 priorities in mind?

Not a chance in hell a single exit with decats will pass any static noise test, let alone 96db, even with decats and std muffler you wil struggle.

I kept getting noise boards at Bedford (which means on the limit) of their drive by and that was with a true dual and hfc's, i know Bedford is one of the strictest but at least it gives you an idea.

Imho, swap out the exhaust, leave the std cats and you will be fine pretty much anywhere, 20 bhp "possible" gain from decats on a 1.5 ton is hardly worth the worry.

If you want to go faster on track, your 1 - 3 priorities should be:

Tyres

Brakes

Suspension

P.s forget a custom built exhaust, just buy a Milltek

Edited by Jetpilot
  • Like 1

Which Berk decats - what are their exact specs? Same question for that Milltek system.

I am getting everything done by a guy who builds whole systems for sports cars - from headers to the tips. I just want to know that whatever he proposes as a solution is the optimal one for this car. I can definitely get more power&tourque, less weight and a more bassy sound with a custom system, I just need to know how. He says it won't be too loud with resonated test pipes, stock diameter exhaust and an absorbing muffler(s).

I guess I need to find our exactly what he proposes - I'll be seeing him on Saturday so I'll let you know after that.

Edited by GodISmE