I bet you didn't know...

Aashenfox

...how much it costs to buy (and own) a Z in Greece? If you're not at all interested, turn back now, cos that's what this topic is about. Me going on about the cost of second hand Zs in Greece and moaning about taxes, etc and how much better things are in the UK, and before the war, and blah blah. Those who are still here, you really should find something better to do with your time. Right, those who are STILL here...

You might be more than a little surprised...I've been on ebay looking for Z parts for my recent restoration project and couldn't help noticing how much you can get a decent Z for over there...that's what prompted this waffle.

waffle.jpg

No, not that waffle...the one below.

Firstly, ok, cars here have no rust, so there is that. On the other hand every single one has a dent or scratch and/or has been involved in a minor/major accident, and/or is clocked back on the mileage, buying a car in general is a high risk proposition in Greece, there is extreme shadiness in the industry.

Bear in mind also, that we are in the deepest depth of the Greek crisis at the moment, we've been at rock bottom and not getting better for 2 years now, people are really starting to run out of savings and reserves and the government continues to tax luxury goods (including cars with large engines, by which they mean 1.8 or bigger, yeh, feel the torque!) up the wazzoo. Oh, before we continue, I guess important to mention that cost of living here is about half the UK, but wages are a third.

So, the Z with it's (by Greek standards MAHOOSIVE) 3.5l engine, basically costs me a thousand quid a year with the current exchange rate in road tax alone. Insurance is reasonable to be fair (just over 400 quid), but fuel is the same price as the UK. If you happen to own a car with a big engine that's less than 10 years old, you get an additional 'luxury' tax to pay in your tax bill every year, based again on the size of the engine, for a 3.5 it's over 1300 quid. That's on top of the grand for road tax. So that's 2300 quid (let's throw in 400 quid for third party fire and theft insurance for me with 10 years no claims), make that 2700 quid if you own an 07 car this year, just to have it in the garage. I wouldn't be able to afford to own a Z here (not many would) if it was subject to luxury tax (mine's an 04). As you can probably appreciate, the whole point of all this is to charge owners of large expensive cars hard, but it's a very fine net to be claiming you're only going after big fish. :dry:

So, due to the crisis and these mental taxes, the second hand prices of cars with big engines are naturally at an all time low. But that low, is still going to make you spit your coffee/beer/PG Tips, so swallow and put it down. :)

Drum roll please...the average price of ads matching the following criteria...

Make: Nissan

Model 350 Z

Gearbox: Manual

Mileage: 125k kilometres or less (about 80k miles I think)

Location: Attiki (the county of Attiki contains Athens and 50% of Greece's population, if not more, and I wanted to exclude cars from the islands as their prices tend to be all over the place.)

...is.......... 12 grand (euros), on Google that converts to almost 11k sterling, and that's the average, the nicer ones go for around 15 to 20 and the shoddy ones go for about 10

I just bought a fixer upper with a LOT of minor problems, but a good engine, gearbox and chassis, for about 7500 quid and I consider that I got a total fking bargain, I'm over the moon.

So there you go, fairly random, barely interesting, totally useless information for you. No you can't have those 2.3 minutes back, they belong to me now. :p:D Crazy money, though, no?

Have a good weekend all :)

Edited by Aashenfox
  • Like 7

Try buying one in Denmark!

http://www.bilbasen....5-sport/2994258 = £25k

According to Google that's closer to 32k in sterling! That's shocking, even if it does only have 40k miles.

To be fair though, aren't wages in Denmark one of the highest in Europe and everything is that expensive? I remember my mum was working in Copenhagen some 20 years ago and said she'd never paid so much for a glass of wine and a slice of cheese, she said it was something like 25 quid.

I put 100 ron in mine, it's available at every petrol station. About 96 true octane, it's good fuel actually.

Is fuel expensive as well. ?

I can't remember what it is currently (truth is I do very few miles a year, about 2000 at the most in my sports cars, so I don't really pay much attention), the 100 ron stuff is about 15% more expensive than the 95, which is about the same as your prices I believe. I'll update later if I see a petrol station when I'm out and confirm.

Edited by Aashenfox
  • Like 1

I put 100 ron in mine, it's available at every petrol station. About 96 true octane, it's good fuel actually.

Is fuel expensive as well. ?

I can't remember what it is currently (truth is I do very few miles a year, about 2000 at the most in my sports cars, so I don't really pay much attention), the 100 ron stuff is about 15% more expensive than the 95, which is about the same as your prices I believe. I'll update later if I see a petrol station when I'm out and confirm.

Right not mega expensive then. :thumbs:

Nah, it's not terrible, similar to uk, but don't forget...I take home 1/3rd as much money as the guy doing my job in my firm's london office.

Rent, taxis, food, cigarettes, are all cheap here, the basics of life, but almost anything that is not an essential of life is pretty dear. For example, we pay more than you guys do for electronics of all kinds. The problem is volume, the total population of Greece is less than the total population of London, so we don't move enough units of anything, so prices are high.

Nah, it's not terrible, similar to uk, but don't forget...I take home 1/3rd as much money as the guy doing my job in my firm's london office.

Rent, taxis, food, cigarettes, are all cheap here, the basics of life, but almost anything that is not an essential of life is pretty dear. For example, we pay more than you guys do for electronics of all kinds. The problem is volume, the total population of Greece is less than the total population of London, so we don't move enough units of anything, so prices are high.

But you got lovely sunshine and pretty women.. :sun:

• Like 1

But you got lovely sunshine and pretty women.. :sun:

You couldn't be more right. :)

Try buying one in Denmark!

http://www.bilbasen....5-sport/2994258 = £25k

According to Google that's closer to 32k in sterling! That's shocking, even if it does only have 40k miles.

To be fair though, aren't wages in Denmark one of the highest in Europe and everything is that expensive? I remember my mum was working in Copenhagen some 20 years ago and said she'd never paid so much for a glass of wine and a slice of cheese, she said it was something like 25 quid.

They do get paid a lot but cars are hyper expensive. Something to do with the a form of tax (not sure if that's been added on yet to that car) or some melarky, my friend always bangs on about it as he has a decent job but can't really afford to get anything over 2ltr. :lol: