Knocking Noise - Roll bar drop links?

Trog

Anyone suffered from a knocking noise coming from the front end when on rough roads or when dropping over speed humps?

I suspect the drop links, but there is nothing loose or moving when we had the car up on the ramps.

Could it be anything else?

Cheers,

Trog

I had a similar problem on a different car and it turned out to be the engine mounts had rotted and the engine block was banging into the chassis when dropping down off speed bumps. I don't know if this is a known problem for 350Z's but it sounds very similar.

The parts aren't expensive but I think its not such a quick job to change them.

Get under the car and visually check the engine mounts and droplinks again. Could it not be a worn/faulty damper? Check them by pushing the car down at each corner of the car. Car should bounch once then stop. If it kinda wollows then it could be the shock.

endlinks are a known issue on these cars, but tends to reveal itself on cars that see lots of rough roads and have aftermarket sways fitted. However, we have seen them on some nearly stock cars around here as well.

It's a bit of a hard thing thing to diagnose, but it usually manifests itself over uneven pavement at lower speeds. If you hear any knocking coming from underneath the car (almost a popping noise), then there is a good liklihood its a faulty endlink.

We offer a really strong and beefy replacement set, though we're currently out of them (more are arriving soon though)

I had this exact issue on my own car, and it drove me nuts till I figured it out. We had been looking for a quality set of replacement endlinks for a long time, even going so far as to starting CAD design work on our own. We tried all the various aftermarket sets out there (there are 3 or 4 companies that made them), and came across one firm from the US that had lots of motorsport experience behind them. We got a set and put them through their paces, and as a result, we ceased development work on our own and became the exclusive distributor for these new ones. The owner of the company that makes them for us has years of experience with Roush Racing here in the US, and all they make are linkage systems. These things are absolutely fantastic - true OEM quality, but with full adjustability.

Here is a quick pic:

newpics828%20005.jpg

description from our site:

"We've all heard the complaints about the stock endlinks on the Z and G platform, especially when mated to aftermarket, stiffer swaybars. The stock links were designed around stock swaybars, on a stock height car. They are a simply dog bone design with a pivoting head, but over time they tend to get quite noisy, and slopping, causing unwanted movement of the bar, which reduces the effectiveness of the swaybars in the first place!

How do you solve the issue? These Powergrid endlinks. They use OEM level components in a simple adjustable configuration. For those running lowered cars, wide wheels and tires, stiffer swaybars, coilovers, having the ability to adjust the endlink is invaluable. It allows you to safely and carefully adjust the handling characteristics of the car in a quick and easy fashion. These links allow for up to 50 degrees of articulation, meaning that their ability to deal with stiff sways, stiff springs, and various load chores are seamless. These links use a genuine THK ball link end joing. Each THK Ball Link is composed of a high-precision ball bearing, a die-cast holder, and a shank connected to the ball by a special welding method. Through a unique production process, the mirror surface of the ball bearing is copied onto the inner mounting surface for perfect contact between them, achieving outstanding wear resistance, exceedingly smooth motion, and high strength.

Unlike the other, more common heim joint style units, these are fully sealed, never require greasing, and are completely water tight and dust tight. In addition, you never have to worry about these links developing noise issues down the road due to the design of their ball joint ends. The dual lock nuts on either end of the link means that the length of the link will not change over time, which can happen on other style endlinks which only use 1 lock nut. In addition, the other style links on the market are not sealed units, so dust, grime, sand, and moisture is ever present, and leads to increased NVH (noise, vibration and harshness) and

limited articulation.

If you want the absolute best swaybar endlink on the market for your Z and G, the search is over! "

We've got more arriving end of this month or first week of March and still have sets that are not yet spoken for.

We offer them in pair (front or rear) or in sets as well.