Removing Exhaust Hangers/Rubbers

JimF

Struggling with this to be honest. About to cut them off and order new ones. Is there a knack? I've got the driver's side one off by removing it from the mount itself, but I'm struggling with the others. Ive tried wd40, Vaseline, screwdrivers, brute force, invoking spirits, and nothing works.

Am I just that bad at cars?

Edited by JimF

Yeah that was my plan but the on passenger side rear mount I'm struggling to get to the left hand bolt, and the driver's side mount I can't find the bolts lol

Edited by JimF

I'd wedge a screwdriver in the end you're pulling the rubber hanger toward, and pull the rubber over the tip of the metal bracket.

Where you can, pull the rubber of the hanger away from the metal (create a gap) and spray some WD40 in. It won't do much, but every little help.

What I do then is put the (flat head) screw driver in between the rubber and metal *from the other side* and lever and pull the rubber over the end of the metal bracket - so you're pushing the screwdriver in the direction you want the rubber to go, and levering against the end of the metal bracket.

Cutting it off may seem easier, but it isn't really.

That way will take time and you really have to throw your strength into it, but it will work, slowly but surely.

• Like 1