Won't start, clicking noise from under the car

Hammerz

Hi all, got a problem with the car not turning over, here's a bit of background info...

Over the last week 3 or 4 times I've gone to start the car and it's just made a click noise and all dash lights go off. Turned again and it's started.

On Tuesday night left work and had the clicking thing again. Tried repeatedly with no joy. Carried out some simple checks, rocked the car with it in third (starter motor related) and tried jumping it, all with no luck. Then suddenly it fired. At that moment I was looking in the engine bay, down the right side of the engine between the engine and intake pipe and I saw a spark.

Got home and the same no start problem is there today.

My positive battery terminal was poor so thought it might be this but the volts showing on the guage read 12 so appeared ok. I've now replaced the terminal and same clicking still occurs. With the fact it also won't jump I'm guessing this rules out anything battery related.

I've tried bump starting the car tonight but only over a distance of a few yards and it didn't work, it did sound more encouraging though.

I got under the car (after much difficulty as it's lowered a fair amount) and the click sounds like it's coming from around the gearbox area (central, just behind front wheels). Obviously it's hard to trace lying under the car with restricted area to move.

I've read that the click could be

Battery (as above think I can discount this)

Starter motor (where is the bloody thing? Think I found it behind the passenger front wheel area, but what can I do with it?)

Clutch switch (makes a different click if I try to start it without the clutch engaged so don't think it's this)

Anyone have experience of this type of problem and any ideas.

Thanks all

Battery terminals, earths, or starter motor leads or a starter motor issue,

The starter motor is below the intake pipe and bolts to the engine and gearbox housing.

If there is is a spark then it sounds like a bad connection in that area.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Hi, just wanted to update on this as I find it so annoying when a problem is posted and no update on the resolution. Although the car ran fine for a while it went back to no starting and the click was all I heard on turning the ignition. The starter motor has been replaced and all is good again.